• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want for Kibler Colonial in Curly Maple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok... hmm... that is what I'm wondering about. If I put a bunch of time into a gun whether it be a Kibler or scratch built... is there a market out there for it? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thanks for the info. 😎
There is definitely a market out there. They can sell for many thousands of dollars. But you are not going to get the big money unless the quality of the workmanship is exceptional. And quality workmanship takes time. There are very few gun makers out there that make more money than the pizza guy. Most gun makers are happy to sell a gun for enough money to pay for the next project. If you can do that, you are doing good.

There is definitely a market out there. They can sell for many thousands of dollars. But you are not going to get the big money unless the quality of the workmanship is exceptional. And quality workmanship takes time. There are very few gun makers out there that make more money than the pizza guy. Most gun makers are happy to sell a gun for enough money to pay for the next project. If you can do that, you are doing good.
Thats really all I want to do. Funds for the hobby. 🤣

Oh ok... hmm... that is what I'm wondering about. If I put a bunch of time into a gun whether it be a Kibler or scratch built... is there a market out there for it? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thanks for the info. 😎
I made a living at it for 25 years. I was mainly working from a plank though. There is a big difference.

There's a market out there, but if I was going to lay down some thousands of dollars on a rifle to be built I'd like to see a fairly well cataloged portfolio of rifles/guns by the maker, and I'd want them to be able to put together a muzzleloader better than I can, and I'd probably be asking for a rifle from a school that doesn't get much attention. Personally, I'd have no interest in buying an assembled Kibler kit since I'd wager money I could do that myself after building my first muzzleloader from a blank. But I hope I get the chance to find out if/when Jim eventually does come out with that Lehigh kit he mentioned some weeks/months ago.

I have seen so many people get the notion that they want to make something to sell without really knowing what is involved with a commercial enterprise or even a hobby business. I made longbows for 25 years and after I had made many-many bows and learned to make my own laminations and forms, I sold a few as a hobby business. At that point, after making hundreds of bows, I started bowmaking full time. In the next 20 years, I made and sold over 5000 bows and never got rich or even well enough off to buy a new vehicle or put any money in the bank.
Something else to consider is burn out. Hobbies are fun and satisfying until they become a tough job.

Last edited:
Back in the early 80s my neighbor across the street, Randy, was a college kid and he bought a kit from a company I can't remember. He asked me if I would help him put it together. We spent many a night working on that kit and he did a great job on it. He said, "Mr. Carl, I won't consider this rifle finished until I kill a deer with it." I replied, "Randy, if that's the criterion then I have 7 unfinished rifles on that rack over there."

The moral of the story, buy a kit and put it together. You need to start somewhere and the skills don't just fall into your lap.

You ask whether there would be a market for this? I would say someone buying a kit gun put together by someone with zero experience would be almost unheard of here. You need to build something, put photos up, and hope to sell one.

Last edited:
Take classes! There are a number of them out there. Yeah, they cost money. The things you can learn are invaluable.

Do not ever plan on getting rich quick building firearms.

If you like working with your hands. Like working with wood and metal. Crafting muzzleloaders can be a very rewarding thing to do. If you can do it and keep your bills paid. And not have to work some job you can barely stand to do for 30-40 years. Then you will be luckier than most.

I think there probably is a market for finished guns built from kits. Not everybody has time or skills (or the desire) to put one together for himself. $2000 is a very good price for new, nicely finished but plain longrifle made from best-quality components.

I do think the market will be competitive. There are forum members right here who have bought and finished Kibler kits “on spec.” You will need to show some credentials in the form of completed guns. You will need to have some experience handling and shooting these guns. I don’t think it will be really profitable, in any event. It will need to be something you do primarily for enjoyment.

I would recommend that you buy a muzzleloader kit. It doesn’t even need to be a Kibler. Maybe start with an Investarms Gemmer. This is a good, solid kit, but the stock will need to have a lot of wood removed to look right. This will exercise your carving skills. There is an active thread on this very topic here on the forum. You will end up with a good quality, good-looking hunting rifle that you can sell or shoot, with much less investment of money on your part and no long wait for delivery of the kit. Even if you sell the finished rifle for the cost of the kit, you will profit from the experience.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how this goes for you.

Notchy Bob

Back in the early 80s my neighbor across the street, Randy, was a college kid and he bought a kit from a company I can't remember. He asked me if I would help him put it together. We spent many a night working on that kit and he did a great job on it. He said, "Mr. Carl, I won't consider this rifle finished until I kill a deer with it." I replied, "Randy, if that's the criterion then I have 7 unfinished rifles on that rack over there."

The moral of the story, buy a kit and put it together. You need to start somewhere and the skills don't just fall into your lap.

You ask whether there would be a market for this? I would say someone buying a kit gun put together by someone with zero experience would be almost unheard of here. You need to build something, put photos up, and hope to sell one.
Actually... you sir... are a genius. 😉

Once something and that could be anything you think you love to do turns into a full time work persona you either turn on it or it turns on you and you wind up not wanting to do it at all , I know I’ve been there though not with muzzle loading but with other I love doing this I will make this my living. I am am not saying don’t go for it but just dabble in it for a few builds and see where it goes from there, but remember these customers are putting there trust in you and if you F UP there rifle there going to want to be compensated.

To the OP……. I didn’t see how you were going to start this business. You mentioned no money.
Let say someone wanted you to build a rifle. We’re you going to ask for all the money up front? The customer buy it and send it to you?
Until you get a name for yourself…. I don’t see anyone just sending money.
You may want to buy a kit… build it then sell it. Kibler rifles sell very well here and other places if built well and priced well.

To the OP……. I didn’t see how you were going to start this business. You mentioned no money.
Let say someone wanted you to build a rifle. We’re you going to ask for all the money up front? The customer buy it and send it to you?
You may want to buy a kit… build it then sell it. Kibler rifles sell very well here and other places if built well and priced well.
No... I am building kits as of now... for people to buy when they are finished. Pictures incoming in the next few days.

Thank you for your comment! You are exactly right!

@The Dirt People Trade Co. I would rather hope that you stay with it and if there’s a financial roadblock to what you want to do right now, work on the smaller things that you will need to know when that doorway finally opens up and you can actually start doing it on a full time basis.

If you are truly interested and it is a passion, read as much material as you can lay your hands on, study the craft and keep yourself immersed in it as you make your plans and get yourself setup. May take awhile but buy a tool now and then that you’ll be needing. You’ll not learn a whole lot from putting together a Kibler kit because all the heavy work has already been done. When you have a few dollars saved up, buy a cheap old wreck, tinker with it, repair it. You’ll learn a lot doing that.

To summarize my ramblings, bide your time and please stay interested in this dream/hobby. Some folks buy a muzzleloader just so they can have a few extra days of hunting and could care less about the historical aspect. Then, there are those of us who take up the “hobby” of muzzleloading not just for those extra chances to put another deer in the smokehouse but to learn and experience some of the hardships and enjoyment that our ancestors experienced.

College and the humdrum of life may keep you from doing what you would rather do right now but eventually, if you use your head, you’ll come to a time where you can say I’m tired of working for the man and now I’m gonna work for myself.

Last edited:
@The Dirt People Trade Co. I would rather hope that you stay with it and if there’s a financial roadblock to what you want to do right now, work on the smaller things that you will need to know and do when that doorway finally opens up and you can actually start doing it on a full time basis.

If you are truly interested and it is a passion, read as much material as you can lay your hands on, study the craft and keep yourself immersed in it as you make your plans and get yourself setup. May take awhile but buy a tool now and then that you’ll be needing. You’ll not learn a whole lot from putting together a Kibler kit because all the heavy work has already been done. When you have a few dollars saved up, buy a cheap old wreck, tinker with it, repair it. You’ll learn a lot doing that.

To summarize my ramblings, bide your time and please stay interested in this dream/hobby. Some folks buy a muzzleloader just so they can have a few extra days of hunting and could care less about the historical aspect. Then, there are those of us who take up the “hobby” of muzzleloading not just for those extra chances to put another deer in the smokehouse but to learn and experience some of the hardships and enjoyment that our ancestors experienced.

College and the humdrum of life may keep you from doing what you would rather do right now but eventually, if you use your head, you’ll come to a time where you can say I’m tired of working for the man and now I’m gonna work for myself.
Thank you for the encouragement sir! 😎 I wish there was a historical society around here! If anyone knows of one... DM me please!

Latest posts

Back