• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wall tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil cloth is usually a tarp....not a tent.
I don't remember ever seeing an oil cloth tent.

Regardless....Rules is rules...each event has their own....follow them or stay home.

colorado clyde said:
Rules is rules...each event has their own....follow them or stay home.
That's about as simple as it is.
That ain't politics, it's rules.
The Politics of it is the manure that goes on amoungst the club members, there's politics involved in a Ladies Church Social group for cryin out loud,,
Never seen any colored tents besides painted TP's or red/brown oil cloth at any vous`.
And to be honest, after the investment that I've made to complie with most of the rules at most vous`,, If I saw a Green GI surplus tent set up inside an event,, I'd make my displeasure of it known to all involved.
If someone had to get all pissy because they can't set up a green GI Surplus tent inside,, I'd simply wish them the best of luck in their new personal endeavors not involving Rendezvous.

colorado clyde said:
I don't remember ever seeing an oil cloth tent.
I have experienced at least one, but it was a tent that had been waterproofed with Thompsons or something similar. Terrible in the heat (didn't breathe), was dingy and smelled funny. I don't recommend it...

Well, just cause a guy can't afford a new georgous white type wall tent is not cool if he can find something more affordable. You're discriminating by not allowing something else that works, so folks, I'm outa here, permanently. My and my green wall tent can be found in the high lonesome enjoying the cool pines, and no dam rules.

Sorry you feel that way....

Unfortunately they won't let you race in Nascar with a Ford Pinto either....
Or let you into a dog show with an unregistered mutt that hasn't had it's shots.

That rendezvous would also complain about any other non-compliant gear...The rules are what keep it a rendezvous...

Rendezvous probably aren't your thing anyway...and it's good you found out now, before you invested even more time, money and equipment into it... :v

You're discriminating by not allowing something else that works,

You're correct. You're misusing the word "disriminating", implying that it's mean and arbitrary, as though it was intentionally directed at an individual....more specifically, you.

When it actually in reality, is accurately describing what the participation requirements do for a private event. So yes, discrimination is used when discussing the types of materials permitted for shelters at many events. It's used all over the place in our daily lives. A vintner cannot enter his wine in a beer judging contest, as that contest discriminates that only beer may be entered. Certain restaurants require a coat and tie, thus discriminating against those in T-shirts....and stores have signs that say "No Shirts, No Shoes, No Service" discriminating against the shirtless, barefoot crowd. Halal and Kosher butchers discriminate that they don't handle nor sell pork. The State of Maryland discriminates in almost all of its counties, not permitting high powered rifles to hunt big game. The county that I live in discriminates in not allowing hunting or target shooting in 60% of its area, including archery and air rifles. It's not a personal thing.

LD

canyon said:
You're discriminating by not allowing something else that works...
You are allowed a tent, but you are not allowed to use a tent that is not a period-appropriate color. You choose what works for you, but you will still need to follow the rules of the particular event. It isn't discrimination in the sense you appear to be using it, rather keeping to standards that best approximate what would have been available at the time and place. After all, that is the ultimate point - being in a particular "time" without the modern intruding (too much).

There's other stuff going on, canyon could easily set his tent up in the non-trad area that almost every Rendezvous has. Lot's of people do this and have a great time participating in all the events throughout the weekend.
He's just picking one issue to justify avoiding it all.
At this point, my guess is he hasn't event been to an event to see what it's all about.

What seems logical to us doesn't mean that is how it was done at the time. I have been under the impression most of the tent fabrics were an off white but in a Miller Painting (he was there at the Rendezvous in 1837) it looks like the tents might have been broad stripes. The mountain men often camped in gullies and ravines out of sight of hostile NDNs. See
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP...10a4e6o0&w=300&h=204&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Last edited by a moderator:
crockett said:
The mountain men often camped in gullies and ravines out of sight of hostile NDNs.

At Rendezvous, whites and natives camped together. In the field, I doubt tents were used or available. In hostile territory, the last thing anyone needs is a large marker indicating "here I am"...

In the picture you linked to, I suspect the tents were brought in by traders on the wagons that brought supplies from the cities while the men coming out of the mountains improvised shelters from available materials. And yes, striped tents are not unknown, though the image is small and I don't see the striped tent(s).

Sorry- I didn't know how to post a larger image but in the larger image it does look like the tents are striped but it is still somewhat unclear.
Tents were the equipment of traders for the most part. The mountain men seemed to just sleep on the ground under the stars.

necchi said:
There's other stuff going on, canyon could easily set his tent up in the non-trad area that almost every Rendezvous has. Lot's of people do this and have a great time participating in all the events throughout the weekend.
He's just picking one issue to justify avoiding it all.
At this point, my guess is he hasn't event been to an event to see what it's all about.
BINGO!

Exactly how I started....Sleeping in a non-traditional tent outside the traditional area until I could afford to buy one.

Lot's of people use campers and motorhomes too..

Read the rules!

Ok guys, you win, I won't bring my tent, but will use my white tarp. I was worried about someone taking my guns if out in the open, but no one has had anything but good to say about those attending. I still have a great tent I can use by myself camping. Two guys in the powderhorn clan in Az got me in touch with a member selling a stove for a wall tent. The price was cheap, and I was going to drive three hours to flagstaff to get it, but, they had a member coming to Phoenix to pick up someone from the airport here, so they sent the stove down with him. Those two great guys saved me a bunch on gas and time to pick up the stove. I love my new stove to, came with pipes, one with a damper in it, and the piece to put in the roof of my tent to fireproof the stove pipes. I can't say enough good things about the Powderhorn Clan members.
I'll be attending more Rondys with them, and learning from these great guys. I'll be using my canvas white tarp for a lean to.

You can construct a nice shelter from several pieces of canvas that will completely enclose your belongings. Just takes a few more ropes and stakes...

This might :stir: but I have made a lot of shelters from paint tarps. They are cheap, off white reasonably strong. In a heavy rain they mist a little until they swell then if on a good angle are water proof. I bet Black Hand could give you lots of ideas for a hc set up that will work in your area well.

I have 2 heavy-duty painter's tarps I purchased at Sherwin-Williams that were waterproof/water-resistant right out of the package that I have used for the last 10-12 years. They are a little more expensive but well-worth the money. They have withstood torrential down-pours without "misting", though they will absorb water.

I'd stay away from the home-improvement store tarps (Lowes/Home Depot/Harbor Freight) as the weave is loose and the quality is poor. Make loops by tying cord around a roundball, stretch them tight and the water will shed without a problem.

canyon said:
I was worried about someone taking my guns if out in the open, .
Cover it up....Out of sight out of mind...an 1/8 inch of canvas wall won't stop a thief..
That said;
I've never been to a rendezvous where anything was stolen from a lodge or tent or etc...And I always camped in a group of friends an we watched each others stuff...Still! never an issue.....Guess the folks I rendezvoused with were just good people... :idunno:

colorado clyde said:
canyon said:
I was worried about someone taking my guns if out in the open, .
Cover it up....Out of sight out of mind...an 1/8 inch of canvas wall won't stop a thief..
That said;
I've never been to a rendezvous where anything was stolen from a lodge or tent or etc...And I always camped in a group of friends an we watched each others stuff...Still! never an issue.....Guess the folks I rendezvoused with were just good people... :idunno:
Clyde nailed it!
I been too many voos... never lost a thing. Thieves don't last long in a trappers camp. One skinner stays in camp if anyone wants to wander. Got hand signals for "strange flatlanders" that flash through camp. 10x10 diamond is a beautiful thing.
Bullet

"I been too many voos... never lost a thing."

Buckskinners are the finest people I have ever met. The last rondy I went to I had 2 pistol kits I wanted to convert to $$. Set them out on a blanket with a bunch of other things and wandered off for a couple of hours. When I drifted back they were gone and there was a pile of cash on the blanket under a rock.

Back