• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wad punch / drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone try a 9/16" wad in a 50? My brain says that is too much....but I am only speculating.
I would use a .50 wad - I punch 9/16 for .54 cal wads - you want a snug fit but it will be difficult to get the 9/16 to start evenly in the muzzle. Harbor freight punches are cheap and once you sharpen them they will cut durofelt just fine.

Just be aware that some people, probably through ignorance, sell hole punches for wad punches.
C Boy, what’s your angle here? Diameters of wads produced, easiness of use, durability? I have a punch for my 12 ga and is superb but it was almost $50, I have hole punches for the rest of my ML and have worked fine (or so I think). If you could abound in the difference , it would be appreciated!

9/16" is about right for a .50, I use a custom .555

and a .580 in the 54

You can sometimes find a metric one 14.5 or even a 15mm

Last edited:
I buy cheap punches so the handle is not to hard then machine the handle to run true to the punch. Put it in the drill press and make all the wads you want. The same procedure for making patches

Anyone try a 9/16" wad in a 50? My brain says that is too much....but I am only speculating.
One of the best long range shooters uses a .54 patch in his .50 M.L. and he swears by them? Looking at his shooting ability I would say yes!

One of the best long range shooters uses a .54 patch in his .50 M.L. and he swears by them? Looking at his shooting ability I would say yes!
Luckily I scored a 9/16 drill punch.....and Asha shipped my felt Wednesday....so I might get to try it if the post office is good to me.

I believe the OP is referring to wads, not patches. The difference in diameter from one to the other will be significant. Most of the commercial patches I have now are generic to be used in .45 to .54 so I suppose it won’t matter, I cut my own so I don’t know if someone sells a specific for caliber patch.

It's a whole lot easier to buy Walters wads 500 or 1000 at a batch. They come in probably any size you need. My wad punches have gotten real dusty since I started using Walters wads.

Edit: I meant to say both Circle Fly and Walters wads.
Rolling our own is part of the smoking experience, no pun intended!!🤣

Back