• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Punch for stock pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use the nail sets, grind the tip flat and then round/break the edges very slightly with a diamond stone. But advise a straight profile punch is the better choice.

Otherwise they do sell 1/32” pin punches specifically for the locking pins for older Smith & Wesson revolver barrels. They are fantastic, where smaller punches are needed!

If you use the nail sets, grind the tip flat and then round/break the edges very slightly with a diamond stone. But advise a straight profile punch is the better choice.

Otherwise they do sell 1/32” pin punches specifically for the locking pins for older Smith & Wesson revolver barrels. They are fantastic, where smaller punches are needed!
Not being argumentative, but find the concave tips on nail sets really stay on the smaller pin (I go one size down from the pin diameter) to get it moving when the pin is flush with the wood. The nail sets are tapered and you don’t want to move the pin much with one or you will damage the wood. Otherwise I use straight punches down to 1/32” diameter.

Last edited:
Here are some GOOD gunsmith pin punches from Brownells as I mentioned earlier.

20231023_184850.jpg

I use a trimmed finishing nail. 😏
I do this also. I also use a hemostat to securely hold the nail (.054) just under the head. The serrated jaws of the hemostat hold the trimmed securely at 90 degrees. Positioning it tight against the barrel pin I lightly tap the nail head. Works great for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3734.jpeg
    IMG_3734.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3736.jpeg
    IMG_3736.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3742.jpeg
    IMG_3742.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3741.jpeg
    IMG_3741.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oh my Lord guys. 2 pages of nonsense about a simple 1/16” pin.
Use a 1/16” punch, (best ones available at Brownells) they are actually a bit undersized, so no damage to the wood, be careful and don’t miss the pin.
This is still not rocket science. You don’t use a sledgehammer to drive a tack.
It’s called have a good time with our misuses of decimal points. And it’s far better than arguing and calling each other names over other subjects.

Stupid question, pins for my Kibler are .037”. In the past I used a little piece of drill bit shank as a punch. Not ideal but works if you are careful. Looking around the internet looked like smallest punch you can get is 1/16”. Anyone have a source for a smaller punch?
My Colonial uses 1/16
No stupid questions around here (except mine maybe) 😄 , though seriously, there was a pretty good discussion about builder's tools not too long ago here:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/a-list-of-beginners-tools.167856/#post-2409211There was some discussion about punches in that thread. Hopefully your question was answered there. I haven't been able to acquire a punch smaller than 1/16 in. myself, and I've just used a drill shank like you when necessary.

Not to hijack the thread .... but .... I took a different approach with my SMR and used music wire instead. Which is available at Ace Hardware in 0.062 in. diameter, aka 1/16 in. And then opened up the pin holes a bit to accomodate pins made from that music wire. And genuine 1/16 in. punches, of course. Worked just fine, though I suspect you're going to hear from the naysayers on that topic.
the Kibler kit (colonial) comes with pin stock. Comes with a guide and a very small bit, to be used as a starter. He’s got a video showing how too.

My Colonial uses 1/16

the Kibler kit (colonial) comes with pin stock. Comes with a guide and a very small bit, to be used as a starter. He’s got a video showing how too.
Mine from a couple years ago did not include and bit or guide. The 1/16” holes were already drilled.

One thing I use on modern firearms when starting/driving roll and spring pins-
A small piece of rubber or vinyl tubing, insulation stripped from wire works well for very small pins or similar slipped over the shank of your punch will prevent the punch from slipping off of the pin- “sleeve” the pin with it.
Ditto except I use a 1-2" piece of 1/16 OD brass tubing. Find a hardware store or good Hobby Shop with a K&S Metals display. They should have the music wire as well as the brass tube.

Latest posts

Back