• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 20 gauge Howdah wad punch size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a 20ga Howdah with .625 barrels, my research has shown to use 19ga wads. Would like to know the correct punch size to make my own? Tried what I have on hand 11/16 too big and 5/8 too small. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Sir!
Good evening, Nunz.
I own a Howdah, I ordered it from one place and the OS cards and Felt wads from another. I ordered .20 and were to small in diameter. I was frustrated and wanted to shot it. I took some of my .12 wads and cards and used a .58 ram tulip tip ram rod from my Harpers Ferry Pistol. I centered them up on muzzle and they fit tight. They worked good. Since then I picked up some 19 gauge wads and cards they work good also. I feel Britsmooty is correct about the 11/16th punch. Mine shot #1&#3 buck shot well, Real good pattern. Plus the .610 and .614 ball very accurate..
You'll like it alot.
Good luck.
Take Care Stay Safe.

Good evening, Nunz.
I own a Howdah, I ordered it from one place and the OS cards and Felt wads from another. I ordered .20 and were to small in diameter. I was frustrated and wanted to shot it. I took some of my .12 wads and cards and used a .58 ram tulip tip ram rod from my Harpers Ferry Pistol. I centered them up on muzzle and they fit tight. They worked good. Since then I picked up some 19 gauge wads and cards they work good also. I feel Britsmooty is correct about the 11/16th punch. Mine shot #1&#3 buck shot well, Real good pattern. Plus the .610 and .614 ball very accurate..
You'll like it alot.
Good luck.
Take Care Stay Safe.
T
Good evening, Nunz.
You'll like it alot.
Good luck.
Take Care Stay Safe.
Thank you, Gum Slough. Happy Thanksgiving!

I’m mostly being goofy, but if 5/8 is too small and 11/16 is too big, I’m going to go out on a limb and say you need 21/32.

Kidding aside the little bit of extra will crush in the barrel to make a tight fit on the 11/16. Make sure you use plenty of lube so on subsequent shots the fouling will stay soft and reloading will remain possible. I put the lube on my wax impregnated paper fiber wads.

I use real thick vegetable-tanned saddle leather and a 5/8" punch for my Pedersoli Howdah with fine results.... loose birdshot seems to pattern better out of the Howdah if I use a small ball of real sheeps wool over the powder and then a wad over the shot...also use the same 5/8 leather wads in my 58 Kolonial rifle sometimes.

Last edited:
Go metric. I use a 16 mm on all my Pedersoli 20's. You want it a little oversized. Mine come out 0.63 cal and shoot great. Great seal and good velocity. I punch out leather to use as overpower wads and use the same punch on wool felt. OP wad the 1 wool felt lubed then shot or ball then use another lubed wool felt was to seal the bore

Back