• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wad punch / drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Kraeuter 9/16's wad punch for my .54 smoothbore off Flea Bay last week. I punched a few out from my thick felt blanks and made a 'test wad' I could push down the barrel and pull back out. The wads aren't overly tight and not loose. They should work well. I just need to punch out some thin card wads to go under the felt wads.
Ohio Rusty ><>
That’s a dandy, looks like the one I have for 12 ga!!

I am not getting your angle here and apologize for that. Felt is a generic term nowadays, it was originally made out of 100% wool, now there are synthetic blends that are not necessarily optimal for MLoading, the density of it crucial too. DuroFelt is really good on thickness and density and have marketed it for ML specifically. The gent you are referring could be using patch but I have never seen an 1/8 thick patch, I don’t know anybody that’s call a 1/8 felt wad a patch but is possible that the person you are referring to on your post uses a folded patch under the bullet in lieu of a wad, it is still a folded patch. I have done lots of experimentation with folded patches, wads and paper patches bullets and still want to learn more but have never seen a 1/8 wad called a patch. A patch is a patch and a wad is a wad!
1/8" equals .125 I would think it would be called a patch? Lewis calls it a patch also? I can't see how it helps anyhow but he seems to think it does and with his results who could argue with him?

1/8" equals .125 I would think it would be called a patch? Lewis calls it a patch also? I can't see how it helps anyhow but he seems to think it does and with his results who could argue with him?
If you are talking about Idaho Lewis, I have seen most of his videos. He places a patch over the powder and sit the properly patched round ball over it. That is done to protect the patch that is around the ball. It a normal .015 thick patch, not even folded, not .125 (1/8) wad.

If you need Vegetable Fiber Wads in various sizes, CHEAP, try looking at Buffalo Arms Co. https://www.buffaloarms.com/search/?q=vegetable fi

They have a lot of sizes and thicknesses, cheap. I just ordered a 1000 to fit my Remmy for $20 + shipping,

No lube, but you get to choose the goo of your liking. They also carry the 3 sq ft sheets of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back