• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cushion wads ,I hope Mike Brooks sees this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
There are so many different wads and all and most are 1/4in. Or so. When I read Cushion Wads,1/2 in. Pops in my head.
So when you guys say cushion wads I've got a pic below.,,which do you reccomend? This is mainly aimed at what Mike reccomended.
Thanks. I just don't want to buy a bunch of diff wads but I guess we all go through this.
Ok pic below left to right which ones or something else?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_140202_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_140202_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Hmm... cushion wads...

I thought I had found the perfect load using one half inch lubed cushion wad split into two. I put one half under the shot and one half over the shot. So I'd have the same amount of lube traveling down the bore.
And then I ran into a youtuber who was not only shooting his cushion wads dry... o_O
He was stacking two on top of each other under the shot... :dunno: Surely he must be shooting donut patterns, right?

So yesterday I tried it out. Both my way of splitting the wad, only using it dry.
And his way of stacking two dry wads.

I could see no difference. And the gun cleaned up as if I was shooting lubed cushion wads.
Small sample size, but I may never lube a cushion wad again. I'll just take to swabbing the bore if needed.

The ones I have are 1/2" Circle Fly from TOTW.

If your not trying to turkey a cyl bore.... even just nitro and overshot works fine.

I like to use a wool wad or two on top of the nitro as cushion and the overshot on top.

I started all wool. even though cost more.. it was simple 1 wad to have load and it worked good.. the wool doesn't seem to press fit down tight. Nitro card feels solid. the overshot cards are cheap and press fit nice.

I didn't know? I Though I was going to have to build a squirrels nest in there to shoot a pattern.

Just give the stock a little love Tapp to make sure the powder travels to the nipple. I havnt had a slow ignition.

If your not trying to turkey a cyl bore.... even just nitro and overshot works fine.

I like to use a wool wad or two on top of the nitro as cushion and the overshot on top.

I started all wool. even though cost more.. it was simple 1 wad to have load and it worked good.. the wool doesn't seem to press fit down tight. Nitro card feels solid. the overshot cards are cheap and press fit nice.

I didn't know? I Though I was going to have to build a squirrels nest in there to shoot a pattern.

Just give the stock a little love Tapp to make sure the powder travels to the nipple. I havnt had a slow ignition.
I use Dura Felt wads ,punch them out with a (cheap Harbor Freight ) hole punch set ($15- $20.) dry

Dura felt.. looked it up just now there advertised for the use that's cool.

My grandfather used to spend a day punching wads... his cartridges look like squirrels reloaded them. I've never tried one though in a gun he could no longer get Italian powder and didn't understand American lol anything I had left said no good in Italian on the box.

Dura felt.. looked it up just now there advertised for the use that's cool.

My grandfather used to spend a day punching wads... his cartridges look like squirrels reloaded them. I've never tried one though in a gun he could no longer get Italian powder and didn't understand American lol anything I had left said no good in Italian on the box.
I can set you up with some if you want to try what every one has done with dry or lubed in what caliber ? Ed

That's cool... it's OK though just knowing is good. I have a 12ga punch.. it works i tried the cereal box overshot.

The arch punches are cheap. I was going to order some spent like 3 days trying to find the info on what sizes...

10ga.. 12ga..

I do have the sizes saved somewhere.

Back