• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unmentionables

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing that term here, usually with quotation marks. What does that mean in reference to M/Ls? Maybe you can't tell me because it is unmentionable. Forgive my ignorance.
There are types of firearms that discussion of is against the rules of this forum, so instead of not discussing them some use the term "unmentionable" and discuss them anyway.

I like them all, from flintlocks to AR’s. Enjoying a particular firearm is not mutually exclusive, though I like flintlocks the best. Though I don’t have one and have no desire to own one, even an inline has its place in shotgun only/straight-wall cartridges for deer hunting states.

Personally I don't care what anyone shoots as long as they promote the sport of muzzleloader shooting. Too many stuffed shirts seem to think that a sidelock is the only true muzzleloader. Its not. This is the same thing that went on in archery with the invention of the compound bow. The recurve and longbow shooters went nuts. And now its the same with crossbows (which btw were out long before recurves). People could have said the same thing years ago with the progression of muzzleloaders. You had the matchlock, wheellock, flintlock, percussion now 209 primers. Use what you want and don't complain about what others use as long as its legal. Remember that horse you're on isn't that high.
The point of this forum is tradition. Your stainless steel plastic stocked inline and the sabots it uses are not traditional. As for earlier muzzleloaders, they can be talked about because they are traditional guns. Firearm designs after 1865 are beyond the scope of our forum. However, there are forums that specialize in modern inlines. You can google them.

Personally I don't care what anyone shoots as long as they promote the sport of muzzleloader shooting. Too many stuffed shirts seem to think that a sidelock is the only true muzzleloader.
I totally agree with @bronko220002

I don't care what anyone shoots either. Example:
I host a New Year's Day shoot annually in Indiana and flintlock, cap locks, CW guns, cartridge guns & even some I've never heard of shows up for this shoot. We try out each other's guns and talk shop with laughter and smiles on everyone's faces all day long.

That type of fun is what the hobby is all about.

I like them all, from flintlocks to AR’s. Enjoying a particular firearm is not mutually exclusive, though I like flintlocks the best. Though I don’t have one and have no desire to own one, even an inline has its place in shotgun only/straight-wall cartridges for deer hunting states.
Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with them and they all have their place, but this isn't it. This is a traditional muzzleloader site, there is even a sister site to discuss modern type muzzleloaders and lots of sites to discuss modern type firearms. This one is for traditional though per the rules.

It seems as if many of the "antis" are almost as old as their bundhooks ;-) That is why this aspect of shooting is fading away -- along with the meetings where a tiny number of hard-nosed "traditionalists" rule the roost -- but I bet many of them wear modern underclothes under their buckskins.

In the UK the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB (Muzzle Loaders' Association of Great Britain) runs "Repeating Pistol Open Meetings" to encourage the widest range of firearms, using courses of fire based on Victorian and pre-WW1 matches at Bisley. These were set up after the politically driven drastic changes in legislation after the Dunblane Massacre.
Law-abiding shooters were forced to give in their pistols and revolvers. Many of them bought M-L ones with their so-called "compensation" but most of them gave up after a while as they couldn't deal with the cleaning of them, or where their local ranges would not or could not permit B.P.
Many of the remaining shooters are now very elderly and not renewing their licences -- - and the youngsters have no interest (their form of "shooting" is killing aliens using two thumbs on a "tablet" or PC). That means e.g., that Clubs are folding and prices for good ML items are rock bottom -- - e.g., a near mint Uberti M1860 in its box with accessories might fetch the equivalent of $100. In my gunroom I have a boxed LeMat which I am trying to sell for a member of my MLAGB Branch ---- fired three times in matches 20 years ago. The best offer that I have had is £300 ;-(((
Getting these guns to the USA where they are "antique" is SO expensive as to make it almost impossible.

Back to the point (eventually) ... ...
If you are interested, our Pistol Secretary says that you can download the R&Rs and various Notes and advice from our Branch website
--- <[email protected]> the main text of his message is
"For those of you that can't find the entry forms on the Branch website (under Downloads, Competitions,Repeating Pistol...), I'm attaching both entry forms."

You can see that we are trying, but it really IS an uphill task.

I am happy to forward e-mails if I have messed up the links (I have a partner with dementia so most of my time is spent looking after her)

The point of this forum is tradition. Your stainless steel plastic stocked inline and the sabots it uses are not traditional. As for earlier muzzleloaders, they can be talked about because they are traditional guns. Firearm designs after 1865 are beyond the scope of our forum. However, there are forums that specialize in modern inlines. You can google them.
Mr Frizzen you are wrong. This section of the forum is for flintlock guns - not even percussion rifles. But this forum is entitled "The Muzzleloading Forum" which includes ALL muzzleloaders regardless of how they load, what they load into them and what the ignition system is.
Shoot whatever you like but don't criticize others for what they shoot. I shoot flinters, caplocks, inlines, and black powder cartridge rifles and even black powder pistols. I have fun with all of them as do a lot of others. I do find myself carrying a flinter or caplock more often than an inline when hunting but I enjoy shooting my inlines and BP cartridge rifles at the range sometimes out the the 300 yard gongs.

Well, rather than anyone arguing about it, go to "Forum Announcements & Forum Help" and scroll down to "Forum Rules". That ought to clear up any misunderstandings regarding permitted topics. One rule to take to heart is the reminder that we're all guests here.

Mr Frizzen you are wrong. This section of the forum is for flintlock guns - not even percussion rifles. But this forum is entitled "The Muzzleloading Forum" which includes ALL muzzleloaders regardless of how they load, what they load into them and what the ignition system is.
forum

Sorry but this forum is for traditional (designs up to 1865) muzzleloaders. Read forum rules #1 and #7. There is nothing wrong with wanting to use or discuss modern inlines or cartridge guns but they are not "traditional" as defined on this forum and each has their own forums with plenty of activity.

The rules of this forum are meant to prevent divisive discussion like this. The idea is a civil place where like-minded people can discuss, teach, share and learn about their hobby.

There are forums that cater to just about any area of interest that you can think of. They can only exist if they stay focused on the relevant topics.

The OP has been here long enough to know the answer to their question.

Sorry but this forum is for traditional (designs up to 1865) muzzleloaders. Read forum rules #1 and #7. There is nothing wrong with wanting to use or discuss modern inlines or cartridge guns but they are not "traditional" as defined on this forum and each has their own forums with plenty of activity.
Not to argue the point Coot but you're a bit confused. These rules are for the entire forum.
1. Introduction
1.1. The Muzzleloading Forum and its affiliated websites are operated by The Muzzleloading Forum ("The Muzzleloading Forum", "us", "the Company", or "we"). We provide our services to you subject to the following conditions. If you visit, use, post on, or otherwise interact with our Websites, you accept these conditions, so please read them carefully. If you do not agree to any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing our Websites.
1.2. This Terms of Service Agreement (hereinafter, "Agreement") constitutes the entire agreement between you and us, and governs your use of our Websites, superseding any prior version of this Agreement.
1.3. You agree that the laws of the jurisdiction we choose, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern this Agreement and any dispute of any sort that might arise between you and us from your visit to, or use of, our Websites.
1.4. Any dispute relating in any way to your visit to or use of our Websites shall be submitted to confidential arbitration in a place we decide except that, to the extent you have in any manner violated or threatened to violate our intellectual property rights, we may seek injunctive or other appropriate relief in any state or federal court and you consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in such courts, and waive any objection to such jurisdiction or venue. Arbitration under this Agreement shall be conducted under the rules then prevailing of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitrators' award shall be binding and may be entered as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, no arbitration under this Agreement shall be joined to an arbitration involving any other party subject to this Agreement, whether through class arbitration proceedings or otherwise.
1.5. If any of these conditions shall be deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable by any court of law having the jurisdiction to decide on this matter, that condition shall be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining condition.
1.6. You agree that you will comply with any applicable state and federal laws and regulations, local laws and rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content, and that you are solely responsible for your compliance.
1.7. The failure of The Muzzleloading Forum to enforce a provision of this Agreement in no way constitutes a waiver of any provision of this Agreement.
7. Volunteer moderators and Administrators
7.1. Volunteer Moderators and Administrators are an important part of Website. Volunteer Moderators and Administrators are established members who have exhibited a knowledge and adherence to the forum rules and attempt to keep Website civil and spam free. However, Volunteer Moderators and Administrators do not work for or represent The Muzzleloading Forum, or its parent company. Volunteer Moderators' and Administrators' words and actions are their own. Volunteer Moderators and Administrators do not have permission to engage in any sort of business as a representation of The Muzzleloading Forum or its website.
This SECTION of the forum is for flintlock rifles only. What we were talking about is "unmentionables". As you can see above there is nothing in rule #1 or #7 where this forum states you cannot talk about inlines or other firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back