• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took the wife out today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've eaten piles of moose meat and one thing it has in common with any other meat is that it can be ruined by bad handling and lousy cooking. I'll take it any day over beef or pork but they're hard to find in Arizona.
Yeah , it's good stuff ! We usually slice the heart real thin, and in camp cook and eat that first night after the kill.

Great that you have her out shooting. I would suggest you at least get her some shooting glasses and ear plugs. One stray spark in the eye could ruin her vision for life.
That was totally my fault. She asked for safety glasses that I keep in my range box and it was at that moment I remembered they were sitting on my workbench. I grabbed them real quick when I was doing some angle grinder work a few days ago and didn't put them back. And we had and used hearing protection for the loud guns. We were only shooting 15 grains. The .22 she was plunking with earlier was louder that the SMR. I mentioned I should order us some electronic muffs so we could still talk without having to take them on and off and she ordered them before we even got out of the driveway.

Ours was just burger but dry to the point of crumbling. I had caribu, BEST WILD STEAK I EVER ATE
I like black bear and caribou more than moose but when I had a growing family to feed and clothe ,a moose was a lot more meat in the freezer. I've taken 10 bull moose over the years the kids were home, 6 black bear and quite a few caribou and deer supplemented with hundreds of silver and red salmon so we have eaten healthy and never been hungry.
The sad thing is I never took one of them with a muzzle loader and yet shot monthly matches with them year around !
I've rubbed elbows with to many brown and black bear over the years to feel real confident with the front stuffers in the alders, especially when hunting deer on Kodiak !

Last edited:
I just got a call from my third daughter today who lives in Fairbanks AK, and she got her first moose yesterday with a bolt gun I built for her about five years ago. That was better than getting one myself ! She's going to bring me a steak and some empty cases to reload again .
I don't think I will ever interest her in muzzle loading for hunting but she sure was excited about learning to stalk, shoot and dress a moose.
Actually in Grizzly country I'm not excited about hunting with a front stuffer either.
😄

That was totally my fault. She asked for safety glasses that I keep in my range box and it was at that moment I remembered they were sitting on my workbench. I grabbed them real quick when I was doing some angle grinder work a few days ago and didn't put them back. And we had and used hearing protection for the loud guns. We were only shooting 15 grains. The .22 she was plunking with earlier was louder that the SMR. I mentioned I should order us some electronic muffs so we could still talk without having to take them on and off and she ordered them before we even got out of the driveway.
I’m knew to all things ML and never shot a .32 so had no idea what the noise level was. Interesting that it is that quiet. I have been considering getting a Kibler SMR in .32

My wife has took to shooting the muzzle loaders like a duck takes to water, she'd shot my cap and ball revolvers several times through the last 8 years or so,I'd usually carry one when we was fishing,mushroom hunting , ect. but she'd never shot a flintlock or longrifle,till last year or so after we got married,,last few weeks I've been getting her set up with her own rifle,possibles bag and all the junk to put in her new bag,her enthosiasem has made it more fun then I ever had before.
Only problem is she still calls my possibles bag a man purse,but she calls hers a possibles bag LOL..

Latest posts

Back