• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Typical small belt-knife of a Voyageur...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of this depends on what you consider a "Voyageur" . They paddled canoes and then carried heavy loads over portage trails. I've done a lot of canoe travel of that sort and I stopped wearing a belt and went with suspenders as the belt rubbed my side all day. A lot of the fixed bladed knives were solely for trade with the NDN tribes. So....maybe a friction folder type knife may be most suitable. Some voyageurs ended up staying over during the Winter and trapping on their own account (with permission from the local tribes) and they would have probably used the same trade knives and sold to the locals. A sheath hanging from the neck might have been most common- in the Winter it is convenient to have the knife handy versus rummaging under coats etc. to find a sheath knife.

There was actually a different intent for the "neck knife" in the Voyageur culture of history.
It was a "gage d'amour", a gift or token of love,, meant to be worn near the heart.
Possibilities of Infidelity during the seasons long absence from an intimate loved one or spouse was understood (by both parties involved).
A knife worn near the heart was meant too cut or sever attempts of another's love from bonding to the heart, kind of a symbol of attachment or belonging to another,, much like a wedding ring.
The Voyageur would many times partner with another "wife" in far away camps, but with the gage d'amour being present,, it meant his heart belonged to another.
Today many see the glorified "neck knife" with a completely different meaning,, usually with a heavy dose of the "look's cool" factor involved.
I've seen many folks toting big 8" bowies with massive antler handles around camps,,

A knife worn near the heart was meant too cut or sever attempts of another's love from bonding to the heart, kind of a symbol of attachment or belonging to another,
Ok, now let's "flip the coin" under the same premise.
Why did they wear that "gage d'amour" in a far away place(?) What reason to show it(?)
It was a "hook-up" factor,, think about it,,
The adornment worn, was an advertisement that your with someone, you have experience with intimate relations.
Those men, in far away camps,, they were the ones that had the money, they had connections, they could provide,,,
A season away from the hearts love, still meant that they would return to the other,,
A basic "the cowboy rides away" story.
These relations, lead to an entire new culture in just a short century, The Métis. They became the heart and blood of the Voyageur,, for another Century,,
What race is Métis?
The Métis Nation is comprised of descendants of people born of relations between Indian women and European men. The initial offspring of these unions were of mixed ancestry. The genesis of a new Indigenous people called the Métis resulted from the subsequent intermarriage of these mixed ancestry individuals.
Thus,, the neck knife,,,,

p.s. the wife'y back home in those day's,, she had a neck knife too,,

Last edited:
I thought with the voyageurs, they actually married the native women, not like the mountain men of a later date.

Some interesting replies.
If you’ve done a lot of canoeing you’ll know that a typical belt knife 5-7 inch long blade can be awkward while paddling tucked in a sash or worn on the belt. And that’s with modern canoes. The birchbarks the voyageurs paddled had no seats. The paddlers knelt on the cargo bales or on their Cassettes. The cassette was a small box or sack carrying the voyageurs personal articles. Each voyageur was allowed to bring a certain amount of weight of personal stuff, spare shirt etc. The prestige positions in the canoe, the avant and gouvernail, were allowed more weight. I think a voyageurs belt knife would spend most of its time in his cassette.
The folding knife was very popular in New France. Peter Kalm wrote in the late 1740’s “The most popular custom here (in New-France), as a guest or at home, consists of placing on the table, the plate, spoon and fork; everyone must however use their own knife. As soon as they are seated, each person takes out their knife from their pants or skirt pockets.” Pockets. Not sheath. I think this implies a folding knife for use at mealtimes.

And Quebecois writer Philippe Aubert de Gaspé wrote in 1863 “The habitants used, up until 50 years ago, their pocket knives during meals […] because it wasn’t equipped with a spring, the user would have to constantly be holding down the blade with his thumb. The habitants would use these knives with great skill, but novices would often pinch their thumb in the process; some practice was necessary.

I think a knife like this Siamois by Ben Hoffman is a good representation of a typical voyageur knife. Voyageurs we’re almost exclusively recruited from the rural population and every farm boy in Trois Rivière or Lachine would have had a knife like this.

0D188CE3-A9A9-4339-B995-5FE6B087FD9D.jpeg
948448C3-C63F-4339-B5D7-86EC1B0ECAF2.jpeg
866414F3-E1DB-42CF-AFD7-7F7FA1F808EF.jpeg

This thread is definitely one of the most interesting I've seen in a while - tks to all who posted !

Some interesting replies.
If you’ve done a lot of canoeing you’ll know that a typical belt knife 5-7 inch long blade can be awkward while paddling tucked in a sash or worn on the belt. And that’s with modern canoes. The birchbarks the voyageurs paddled had no seats. The paddlers knelt on the cargo bales or on their Cassettes. The cassette was a small box or sack carrying the voyageurs personal articles. Each voyageur was allowed to bring a certain amount of weight of personal stuff, spare shirt etc. The prestige positions in the canoe, the avant and gouvernail, were allowed more weight. I think a voyageurs belt knife would spend most of its time in his cassette.
The folding knife was very popular in New France. Peter Kalm wrote in the late 1740’s “The most popular custom here (in New-France), as a guest or at home, consists of placing on the table, the plate, spoon and fork; everyone must however use their own knife. As soon as they are seated, each person takes out their knife from their pants or skirt pockets.” Pockets. Not sheath. I think this implies a folding knife for use at mealtimes.

And Quebecois writer Philippe Aubert de Gaspé wrote in 1863 “The habitants used, up until 50 years ago, their pocket knives during meals […] because it wasn’t equipped with a spring, the user would have to constantly be holding down the blade with his thumb. The habitants would use these knives with great skill, but novices would often pinch their thumb in the process; some practice was necessary.

I think a knife like this Siamois by Ben Hoffman is a good representation of a typical voyageur knife. Voyageurs we’re almost exclusively recruited from the rural population and every farm boy in Trois Rivière or Lachine would have had a knife like this.

View attachment 131664View attachment 131665View attachment 131668
where can I get one? I like it.

Back