• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any known Canadian flintlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a near-complete know-nothing about early firearms in pre-Confederation Canada, I have to admit that from what I DO know, the chances of any form of Baker rifle 'finding' its way into Canada is unlikely in the extreme. Even here in England, origin of the Baker rifle, I've never heard of a civilian version.
Non the less there where Bakers modified and available in Canada .Not only the 1841 issue of 1.050 refurbished and new condition Bakers supplied to the Royal Canadian Regt based at Fort Niagra ( That prouved troublesome )Plus old Bakers not made for any govt purpose but simply 'getting up' old guns or parts for commercial trade .These may be just a one off . Nor could you discount the Rifles made to please the Indians made for Govt in various grades up to the the really fine ones made By Tatham .Rifles known but not made in Canada . I think generally the smooth bore Guns where more verastile & adequate for most purposes . plus lighter & cheaper . I speaking as a hunter only use rifled MLs because the Dept of Conservation don't allow smooth bores for Deer ,Wild pigs, ect ,Ive concluded that the smooth bore is quite sufficient fires balls faster loads in less time & has no grouves to hold fouling .and at the normal ranges in forests being mostly under 40 yards if that . No need for sights above the normal double shotguns rib . But unless it private land we go with the rifled , my old twenty four bore two grouve belted ball being a favourite but the flints & Snaphances ones work the same. only Deer tend to spook at the pan flash & are off like lightning if at all aware .However I digress .
Regards Rudyard

Back