• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying differnt wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne/Al

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have used Mr. Starr's method of two card wads over powder and one card wad over shot for several years and get pretty good patterns with my Pedersoli SxS 12 Ga. I thought about trying something different so I ordered some duro felt and made some wads lubed with olive oil and used the same two over powder and one over shot at 25 yds. The pattern was still pretty good but I noticed the recoil was less than when using the card wads. I don't have the equipment to measure the velocity of the shot but I think it would be less than what I was getting with the card wads.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference when using wonder wads?

BTW I also tried some tow for wadding and didn't have very good luck with that. Don't know what I did wrong with that stuff. I used a hunk about the size of a golf ball over the powder and about the same over shot. When I fired it sounded like a firecracker went off in a drum and only had a couple shot on the target. I know Spence uses towe and cedar bark with good results but it didn't work good for me. Any one else using tow?

crumpled greased paper has worked well for me as has wasp nest.I've used tow,use that more with a bare ball.Rolled blanket scraps work well also.

I too have used the 2 card wads over powder, and 1 over shot. Lately have been using the same combo, only with felt wads. Just put an order in for fiber wads to try over powder.

I have been very happy with the felt wads, and wonder if patterns will perhaps be tighter with the fiber wads? gary

orion52 said:
...and wonder if patterns will perhaps be tighter with the fiber wads?

Dunno without shooting. But if they're lubed I'll forecast that loading subsequent shots will be lots easier because the fouling will stay softer. That alone is worth any trouble and expense when you're doing lots of shooting in a day.

When i just use the few cards and fouling is geting an issue like on a dry day I carry a small amount of my patch lube and add a knob betwixt cards and ram home. The next few shots are easier to load.

B.

Back