• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plastic wads/shot cups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
Been looking at plastic wads a ballistic products. What experience have you guys had using modern plastic shotcups in your shotguns? I've been thinking about how I'm going to waterfowl hunt with my new pedersoli without breaking the bank. Bismuth shot is crazy pricey still and Steel and plastic are cheap. The temptation is there to try and use a powder/thin card/plastic wad/shot/over shot card. Or maybe kind of a molded skychief with a lubed cushion on top of everything??? Idk what has been your guys experience? What plastic wads have worked for u?

I really can't answer your question regarding which plastic wads to choose, but steel shot really depends on speed to harvest ducks efficiently, something our muzzleloading shotguns don't develop much of. With the time spent loading and the number of shots I get I have found it better to just buy the 7 pound bags of bismuth from BPI for about 120 bucks. I load 4s for ducks and recently took a tundra swan with BB bismuth. A bag of 4s yields around 100 shots for me, enough for about 2 years or more of duck hunting.

Concur with x_count. Check with Rotometals. Still way spendy but their bismuth/tin works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Concur with x_count. Check with Rotometals. Still way spendy but their bismuth/tin works for me.
Rotometals sells 1lb bags of their bismuth. How far would you say that would go shot count wise would you say? The coffers be light thanks to a man named pedersoli..... that's the reason for the stingyness I'll get around to buying the bulk stuff b4 the next season comes. I just have 1 more snow goose hunt b4 the end of the season.

Rotometals sells 1lb bags of their bismuth. How far would you say that would go shot count wise would you say? The coffers be light thanks to a man named pedersoli..... that's the reason for the stingyness I'll get around to buying the bulk stuff b4 the next season comes. I just have 1 more snow goose hunt b4 the end of the season.
Sixteen 1 OZ loads or eighteen 7/8 OZ loads, roughly. Bismuth is less dense than lead, but you will be measuring shot volume not weight but for guestimating purposes......

Hunted for years with a Pedersoli double 12 using 70G and Remington Power piston shot cups. Worked great and seemed to shoot as hard as my buddies 870. Very little crud with easy reloads even after a long day at trap. Used them in a Sharon 20 barrel for the TC Hawken as well. Over shots punched out from cardboard milk cartons worked well too with no sign of interfering with the shot pattern. May list the 20g over powder wads from the long gone Sharon. They work but tough to reload fast.

With steel shot you will need the heavy non-tox plastic wads to keep damage from happening to the barrel. Some also use mylar wraps inside the shot cup to add protection.

I agree with the other posters, if you are going to hunt waterfowl and you can afford it Bismuth is the best choice. I also enjoyed watching the video, the only thing I wonder if it would have made a difference is he didnt use a wad when he shot without the plastic wad. I use a thick wad over the powder card before the shot.

Hunted for years with a Pedersoli double 12 using 70G and Remington Power piston shot cups. Worked great and seemed to shoot as hard as my buddies 870. Very little crud with easy reloads even after a long day at trap. Used them in a Sharon 20 barrel for the TC Hawken as well. Over shots punched out from cardboard milk cartons worked well too with no sign of interfering with the shot pattern. May list the 20g over powder wads from the long gone Sharon. They work but tough to reload fast.
the same for me in a original 12 ga

Many many years ago I bought a case of plastic " power pistons" for my 28 gauge. I had to get a case because they were a special order, One thousand plastic shot cups last a long long time for a muzzle loading shotgun. I found they worked quite well and improved my patterns .I would not consider using steel shot with out them.

I use them, and they work well. I use them in my 12 gauge, 24 gauge, and 32 gauge m/l's. I also got them from Ballistic Products.

Pour the powder, ram two felt OP wads home. Insert shot cup and fill with shot, then add an overshot card, and ram all home. I've taken every squirrel I've fired at when using the shot cups, and some of them were WAY up in the tree. Before going to the field, I put the two felt wads and the overshot card down in the shot cup, and put a piece of scotch tape across the top to keep them contained. Makes loading quicker and much less fumblesome.

Last edited:
He stole my loading procedure except i use 80 gr and 1 and 1/8 shot. I concur that the plastic really does tighten patterns and seems to shoot with more force at longer distances. Especially apparent at trap shoots where speed loading and patterns are the rule. Seems velocity is increased as well but not sure. As for steel shot have seen it separate ribs and detach wedge tenons. IMHO just Another govt mandate to endanger folks. No wonder why the massive increase in non compliance for law in general.

How did you get the cups into the gun? My pedersoli is 13ga it's from 79'

Back