• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plastic wads/shot cups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to goose hunt years ago with my double barreled CVA 12 gauge. To be legal I used steel shot and Ballistic Products steel shoot cups. My hunting partner and I both have the same shotguns. We practiced and tried different wad combinations and shot size and powder charges. What patterned the best for us was as follows:
90 grs of ffg
1 overpower card
1 lubricated (bore butter) fiber wad
The steel shot cup
1 1/8 oz of Steel T shot
1 overshot card
We worked this up for 40 yards. The pattern started getting holes in it after that. We took our share of geese with that load.
Old Shepherd

Last edited:
Plastic cups work fine and are nice cause they are free , just pick them up by the handfuls at the local range . Ive never bought a one but have hundreds in the shop ... I give them A wrap of masking tape , works great . My home made ones work decent too

Last edited:
Plastic cups work fine and are nice cause they are free , just pick them up by the handfuls at the local range . Ive never bought a one but have hundreds in the shop ... I give them A wrap of masking tape , works great . My home made ones work decent too
May I inquire as to what your homemade wads are made from?

Ive
May I inquire as to what your homemade wads are made from?
used newspaper , not so great but works , file paper and paper bags from grocery ....wrap em around d a dowel ( size the dowel ) , twist bottom closed , leave top open ....hornets nest ( outside covering not nest , inside )t or grass on top .... You can use a card too if your into that ... I prefer the natural stuff now , not because its natural , even though that is neat , but the grass and such seem to fall away completely , some times cards cause the shot to slug ...no good ....

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_144550.jpg
    IMG_20231024_144550.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Ive
used newspaper , not so great but works , file paper and paper bags from grocery ....wrap em around d a dowel ( size the dowel ) , twist bottom closed , leave top open ....hornets nest ( outside covering not nest , inside )t or grass on top .... You can use a card too if your into that ... I prefer the natural stuff now , not because its natural , even though that is neat , but the grass and such seem to fall away completely , some times cards cause the shot to slug ...no good ....
I’ve considered paper. This is encouraging, I think I’ll give them a try. Thank you.

Just found that... I don't know when we went back to this now.

That's a nice shotcup, biodegradable

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414_115203_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_115203_Chrome.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
I use 16 ga shot cups with my .69 musket and my .69 pistol too. I had to buy a case of 500 though. But the price was pretty good at the time. I used the musket for five hunting to good effect. The shot cups really do work too.

I like the idea of paper shot cups too. I wonder if they can make them out of that stuff they used to make more or less edible peanuts for packaging padding filler I think they use some kind of a corn or rice leftover stuff.

Last edited:
If they start making squirrels nest horse ass thing inthere again in going to sound like this.

Wow hope this doesn't hurt anyone eyes

Ground walnut shells

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414_162741_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_162741_Chrome.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 0
I have to get corn cob but I'd try it.

3 overshot ground corn cob shot.

I've searched around here and found the same and similar ideas all cool.

Then I search for them in 2024 use?

Latest posts

Back