• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

True Grit - 2010

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I ain't never met anyone i couldnt shade from Texas" Rooster Cogburn. sorry folks the Duke will always be the King. Like the remake of Monte Walsh. What a disapointment. Nope I wont and never care to watch it. They need to make new westerns for instance like the Apploosa that was good. 3;10 to yuma sucked totally.

I might make the argument that the remake of Monty Walsh was done on a television budget for TNT - while the current "True Grit" which arguably is closer to the book than Wayne's version, has been made by two of the finest film makers in the America.

If you've seen the Coen brothers' "No Country For Old Men"...which also co-starred Josh Brolin (as well as Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem)...you'll know why I'm so keenly interested in this one. The Coens are incredible filmmakers with an eye for detail and the unusual. Josh Brolin is a great up-and-coming actor, and Jeff Bridges is old-school Talent with a capital "T" No disrespect to the Duke, but I'm anxious to see this one.

They did remake Shane - Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider.

It was a shame, too; I think I would have liked Pale Rider much better if it wasn't so close to the original, right down to the kid (yes, a girl, but the same idea) calling after him as he leaves.

Claude said:
colmoultrie said:
They did remake Shane - Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider.
Yes, it was the same basic premise (good guy helps the helpless), like Seven Samurai (Magnificent Seven) etc., but not really a remake. IMHO
I agree don't see how you could call it a remake of Shane.

I am not about to go watch a movie about gun fighters made by a bunch that wants to take mine away!

If that's the case then I would stop watching any movies made since 1970 and I would throw your television away because about 90% of "Hollywood" would probably like to take your guns away and the other 10% doesn't work anymore.

The late actor Dennis Weaver, former co-star of "Gunsmoke" and until about 6 years ago, host of the Westerns Channel, was also rabidly anti-gun, but it didn't stop us from watching Gunsmoke re-runs.

Think of how many peope will see that movie and want a Dragoon pistol or want to get into cowboy shooting. SO if those actors are anti gun, they are pretty good gun salesmen as well! Shame on them :thumbsup: :haha: :hatsoff:

Have very mixed emotions about giving anti-firearms rights people/studios money when they make a western. Sometimes I'll wait to see a western until the library buys the movie or it is playing on TV at a hotel I am at.

Actor Matt Damon is listed on the NRA's list of anti-firearms rights people, companies and organizations.

Does anyone have other links or information on anti-firearms rights people involved in True Grit 2010?

Like poordevil said the movies do help to bring more folks into the shooting sports.

I'm not ignoring the concerns that many people have. I have worked in film and television for almost 18 years and have seen every type of person one can imagine when it comes to politics. Yes, Matt Damon is exceptionally liberal, and I am sure that others on the film are as well. Jeff Bridges is also liberal, but I am not certain that extends to gun rights.

I don't know the politics of the Coen Brothers, and frankly I don't care. They make good movies, and often enough are very realistic when it comes to guns (I'm thinking specifically of "No Country for Old Men" one of the best films of the last decade).

And like others have said, I foresee a few hundred or more Uberti Dragoons finding new homes as a result of this movie.

I also know that when it comes to gun rights, I have a lot more to fear from politicians, than I do from Sunset Boulevard.

Kilborn said:
I don't know the politics of the Coen Brothers, and frankly I don't care. They make good movies, and often enough are very realistic when it comes to guns (I'm thinking specifically of "No Country for Old Men" one of the best films of the last decade).

And like others have said, I foresee a few hundred or more Uberti Dragoons finding new homes as a result of this movie.

I also know that when it comes to gun rights, I have a lot more to fear from politicians, than I do from Sunset Boulevard.
I agree. This half-assed boycott attitude doesn't change anything and it's really taking the easy way out.

If people really want to "boycott" something, they should investigate the political views of the companies that make their clothes, gas, tires, computers, and everything else they buy. But, that would be too much work and too much of a commitment, so they boycott a movie.

Not attending a movie won't change anything, except in your own head. IMHO

The point I would like to make is that it is a western. I like it whenever Hollywood puts out a western. As long as its not something stupid like American Outlaws, where the revolvers hold 50+ rounds and the male cast looks like someone out of a boyband or the gunfights are like something out of The Matrix. The golden age of westerns is over. The more people talk about change and the "new way" makes me long more for the old ways. A lotta movies nowadays rely too much on CGI animation and curse laden dialogue not to mention sex. Sure its a western, and sure its a remake, but I'll be damn glad to see it.

I think everyone is looking at this wrong. This is not a "re-make" of John Wayne's True Grit. This will be a better, more faithful production of a great novel.

The story takes place in Arkansas and Oklahoma, but was filmed in Colorado in the Wayne version. Even the Duke couldn't over come those Rocky Mountains in the background for those of us who know the territory.

Unfortunately, the Coen Brothers chose the Texas hill country to film theirs. Much better, but still not the Oauchita Mountains as they should be.

Read the book before you see the movie.

I will not add to the wealth of these anti-gun folk so they can support the politicians That want to take my guns!
You do what ever you think is right

Old Charlie said:
I will not add to the wealth of these anti-gun folk so they can support the politicians That want to take my guns!
There are thousands of people involved in bringing a film to the theater. From Craft Services to the kids that sell the popcorn - all just trying to make a living.

You would condemn them all as anti-gun? Great perspective. :shake:

Old Charlie said:
I am not about to go watch a movie about gun fighters made by a bunch that wants to take mine away!

Those people in Hollywood are so delusional and out of touch with reality that they are probably firmly convinced that this will carry an anti gun message. We know that it never will.

Much in the same way that all war movies are supposed to be "anti war" but are some of the best recruiting tools there are. How many people do you think Full Metal Jacket put into the Marine Corps?

Jack Wilson said:
There are thousands of people involved in bringing a film to the theater. From Craft Services to the kids that sell the popcorn - all just trying to make a living.

Lay with dogs......wake up with fleas.

Supercracker said:
Jack Wilson said:

Lay with dogs......wake up with fleas.
Well, I guess you guys don't watch TV, listen to the radio or use the Internet either. It 's fashionable to boycott Hollywood, but do you have any idea what the political views are of the makers of that computer you're using? What about the car you drive or the gas station you support?

I'd have more respect for you "boycotters" if you applied this to your entire life instead of just the easy, fashionable things.

Skipping a movie - now that's saving the world. :rotf:

Old Charlie,

Thanks, I always do what I think it right.

Out of curiosity, do you ask the political posture of all people who you do commerce with? You know, you may be supporting other buiness interests who may be politicaly at odds with you.

Latest posts

Back