• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did I overpay for this Colt Signature Series?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's got Sam Colt's signature on it it's a Colt, period. I'm sure that's a trademarked symbol and any other manufacturer applying that to their product would get the daylights sued out of them.

Colt sold the rights to use their name for money. That's it. The use of Colt's name went along on the boxes as well as the pistols. Colt doesn't recognize 3rd gen revolvers as Colts. That tells you all you need to know.
That is not exactly true. They don't issue Colt letters on them because they do not have production info.

Wiscoaster,
I have three Signature Series Colt revolvers, and others. One is the 1849 Pocket. It’s beautiful. The next is the 1861 Navy with powder flask etc. Its a real beauty. On those two revolvers, the fit and finish is excellent.

The third revolver is the Paterson with the loading lever. It’s fully engraved and with gold inlay. That one is a stunning work of art in my opinion. Probably less than 200 we’re made. I have to stuff cotton in my mouth every time I look and that revolver and handle it, to keep from drooling all over it and causing it to rust. That revolver was by no means cheap in price and certainly not cheap in quality. For me, it was a milestone type purchase. And I would do it again.

if you like and appreciate what you purchased, enjoy it. :cool:

Kinda contradicts what you stated in post #85!
No it doesn't. Colt made sure that Imperato abided by the licensing agreement. Colt didn't want their name and Uberti's name on the pistol at the same time. That is all. Colt also made ASM stop importing ASM revolvers with leftover Colt barrels that had the licensed Colt addresses on them.

That is not exactly true. They don't issue Colt letters on them because they do not have production info.
Colt doesn't issue letters on them because Colt had no control over the quality and production work. Here is an excerpt from the Cap and Ball Revolvers article on 3rd gens.

It wasn't until 1993 that Lou Imperato formed the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company to create what became the 3rd Generation Series. Known as the “Signature” Series, the 3rd Generation Series was under a "licensing" agreement with Colt Manufacturing, but had no connection to Colt at all, except for the use of Colt's licensed name. Under this “licensing” agreement, Imperato at his Iver Johnson factory where the 2nd Generation "F" Series were produced, was responsible for procurement of all parts, which came from Uberti and Armi San Marco, as we have found out, in Italy. Iver Johnson was also responsible for quality control, final inspection, marketing, advertising, sales and distribution of the revolvers. This was a totally different agreement than either Forgett or Imperato had for the “C” Series or the “F” Series and these “3rd Generation” revolvers were never affiliated with Colt Manufacturing and Colt Manufacturing will not recognize them nor letter these revolvers except on very, very rare occasions. Colt will letter those revolvers that have a complete series of manufacturing, final inspection and quality control records that satisfy the Colt requirements for lettered revolvers. These records are available for very, very few 3rd Generation revolvers.

This statement is supported by an article published in the November 1994 issue of "Gun Tests" magazine. It revealed that "Colt's Manufacturing Co., apparently concerned that its customers might be confused by similar names, says it has nothing to do with black powder guns being sold under the 'Authentic Colt Black Powder Signature Series' name." They went on to quote Jeff Crute, Colt's Vice President of Sales and Marketing. He is reported as stating "The guns are manufactured and marketed by John J. Jovino and Co. of New York (owned by Lou Imperato) and bear only the Colt name. The (revolvers) are being produced and sold through a special licensing agreement which was negotiated prior to the current management ( in 1994). CMCI (Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc.) assumes no responsibility for product quality, workmanship or liability."

Last edited:
emily.jpg

755 dollars, or about 720 Euros, would be a very good price for such an item over here. Given that I can only judge the price of a gun with what I would have to pay here, you got a good deal. It would probably cost me about 1200 Euros. It's a lovely piece, and from what I've read in all the other comments it passes as a real Colt. Over here people pay that kind of price for a stainless Uberti or Pietta.

Last edited:
I paid too much for a revolver not long ago. I love it and it works as it should. I am a happy camper [trekker/-?] naaah! That was years ago. Polecat

Latest posts

Back