• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The First American Military Breechloading Rifle....,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And because it was made and adopted before 1865, AND uses an external ignition, as a flintlock (although later versions were caplock) we can discuss this.

Did you know this may be the ONLY design of a breechloader that qualifies to be used during muzzleloader and "primitive" hunting seasons in every state in the USA?

HOW? Well for example, the Fergusson is a flintlock, but because the ball is placed into the back of the barrel, and the powder charge is poured in behind the ball, it's a true breech loader and not a muzzleloader. The Smith carbine, uses preloaded cartridges, but they are fired using an external cap, and the same same is true of the Sharps copies that use paper cartridges... so they are not muzzleloaders either. HOW then is the Hall different? You load the breech area from the muzzle on the breech. When closed the loaded breech area has a small gap which constitutes a "barrel" that is then joined to the rest of the barrel, but THAT makes this a rifle with short barrel and a barrel "extender". In fact one can remove the breech area and fire a projectile without it attached to the rest of the barrel.

HALL FLINTLOCK RIFLE

The final version of the Hall, the Hall-North percussion carbine musket....

HALL-NORTH 1843 Musket Carbine

LD

And because it was made and adopted before 1865, AND uses an external ignition, as a flintlock (although later versions were caplock) we can discuss this.

Did you know this may be the ONLY design of a breechloader that qualifies to be used during muzzleloader and "primitive" hunting seasons in every state in the USA?

HOW? Well for example, the Fergusson is a flintlock, but because the ball is placed into the back of the barrel, and the powder charge is poured in behind the ball, it's a true breech loader and not a muzzleloader. The Smith carbine, uses preloaded cartridges, but they are fired using an external cap, and the same same is true of the Sharps copies that use paper cartridges... so they are not muzzleloaders either. HOW then is the Hall different? You load the breech area from the muzzle on the breech. When closed the loaded breech area has a small gap which constitutes a "barrel" that is then joined to the rest of the barrel, but THAT makes this a rifle with short barrel and a barrel "extender". In fact one can remove the breech area and fire a projectile without it attached to the rest of the barrel.

HALL FLINTLOCK RIFLE

The final version of the Hall, the Hall-North percussion carbine musket....

HALL-NORTH 1843 Musket Carbine

LD
Hello,

I've seen other similar tip-up chamber designs from earlier. Would they not qualify as well?

I've seen the Hall rifles asked about here in Indiana more than once over the years. The answer has always been no, they don't meet the state's legal definition to be used during the muzzle loader only season.

I’ve seen a few halls, and shot one. One in collector grade is too valuable to drag in the woods, and the one I shot was so wore I saw nothing but a blast of flame in front of my face! And I will always remember the exhibit in the Missouri capital. It may still be there, of a hall carbine with most of the stock around the reciver gone, from a buildup of loose powder that leaked down in there….

Latest posts

Back