• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did I overpay for this Colt Signature Series?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bumped into this Colt Signature Series 1860 New Army on Gunbroker when I was looking for something else. All of my cap 'n ball revolvers are repros, with no collectible value, so I figured that with the auction standing at $550 at the time, if I could aquire one of these, with at least marginal collectible value, it might be a good score. So I jumped into it. Well, somebody else probably had the same thoughts, so we subsequently enterered into a bidding battle involving last-minute bid increases and 15 minute rule extensions -- the ususal psychological game of Gunbroker chicken, where the bigger cluck gets the hen. Well, I turned out to be the cluck. But not having had the time and opportunity to do due diligence to proper market value before bidding, as I know I should have (and usually do), I'm wondering if I paid too much to be the big cluck for this item. Not that it matters all that much; time levels all stupidty, and the other stuff I was looking to aquire can wait. Your thoughts on the $755 (+ shipping, taxes & fees) price I'm paying?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/1008736288

I sold 3 COLTs last year NIB 2 went for over 1000$ the third was around 600$
This one is described as "factory new" which IS an official GB and NRA condition description, and is also described as "unfired", which isn't official, and I don't know how could be verified, except assumed if actually "factory new". But it comes with retail box, which looks authentic, and posted with good photos, which also look pretty convincing.

Last edited:
The signature series usually sell in the $675 to $750 range if new with the box just depending on whether there is a bidding war or not. So $755 plus $90 or so shipping and tax just bumps you up a $100. Not a bargain for sure but not so much you would cry over it. Lesson learned. Factor shipping and handling into your highest bid and stop at that point. There is a lot of them out there and you will snag one for your price sooner or later. Especially for common items.

The signature series usually sell in the $675 to $750 range if new with the box just depending on whether there is a bidding war or not. So $755 plus $90 or so shipping and tax just bumps you up a $100. Not a bargain for sure but not so much you would cry over it. ....
Thanks. No tears. In time the mild overbid plus add ons will be covered, and meanwhile, I'll have the pistol. :cool:

I’m in the” if it’s what you want category.” I would love to own an 1851 or 1860 with the Colt name stamped on it. I say enjoy your purchase. In todays market you’ll look like a genius in short order. I’ve purchased many centerfire colt pistols that I thought I paid too much for in the past. Now I giggle.

Yep, imagine you are laying on your death bed and the only thing that concerns you is the idea that you may have paid $100 too much for a Colt Signature Series 1860 New Army that you had to have. Count to 10. Think about it. Do you still think you ‘may’ have paid too much. Doubt it will matter much at the soon to follow estate sale when an unknown anonymous buyer gets a great deal on a Colt Signature Series 1860 New Army….. possibly unfired according to the auctioneer.

I have owned a few of the Colt 1851 remakes since their introduction, the first iteration(Gen 2?) and a couple of the Signature series. The first, and my favorite, has the nicest fitment/finish, and I prefer it’s solid brass lower frame. My nickel plated Signature series, with use, soon developed a black tarnish/staining which is difficult, if not impossible to remove, and the walnut stock fitment is not as good as the earlier 2nd Gen, which is perfect. I shoot them and have found them all to be accurate and reliable. I don’t think you paid too much for your Signature series. I have seen them sell for $1000+, new in the box. I have not seen many of the initial Gen 2’s for sale. I believe the “Colt” brand ups the value over the alternatives…..And should continue to do so…..As has most anything with the Colt brand has done over time. IMO..

Back