• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRIPLE-DOG DARE contest-2011

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh Smith said:
Props to you, Kirk, for suggesting this!
Josh

Actually, now that I think about it, the props should go to Smokin' .50 for inspiring me by his "Fatherless Boy" thread.
I'm just advocating everyone do what he already did.
Way to go, Dave! :thumbsup:

CaptainKirk said:
No. We don't discuss "Modern inlines" here. Klingons are not allowed on this forum, either.
Sorry, but it has to be that way..... :blah:

Well dang it boy, I'd like to see one of them traditional Klingon flinters.

GoodCheer said:
CaptainKirk said:
No. We don't discuss "Modern inlines" here. Klingons are not allowed on this forum, either.
Sorry, but it has to be that way..... :blah:

Well dang it boy, I'd like to see one of them traditional Klingon flinters.

The small, puny calibers would be like the "Stun" setting on the Phasers :haha: :rotf: :blah: . No self-respecting Klingon would dare die from anything less than .50 caliber :shocked2: .

Dave

I just got my new issue of Muzzle Blasts, and guess who is featured under the Charter Clubs section! Our very own Smokin'50!! THe whole story is in there about his introducing a kid to ml-ing, and the donation of the rifle, all of it!!
Rosey, you make me proud. You are an asset to the human race. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :bow:

CaptainKirk said:
Josh Smith said:
But I don't think I'll participate in a contest for it.
Josh

I think maybe "contest" was the wrong word, as that infers "contestants" and "prizes". A better description would be "challenge". I'm challenging all of you to introduce ONE, just one, new person to our world this year. For the betterment of our sport, and to keep the torch burning, if for no other reason. If we make a conscious effort to do this, with our 18,000+ strong membership, we can do far more than any other group or forum in less time than they could ever organize such an event. So, are you with me?

Hi Mr. Kirk,

It will happen.

I guess I just don't like to feel I'm bragging.

More of a "if it happens, it happens" type deal.

Told a female friend of mine that she was going to have to fire off a muzzleloader here in front of her boyfriend, so that the boyfriend would feel like he couldn't be shown up.

Figure that'll be two more :D

Maybe I'll lure them here with the offer of handgun training. :thumbsup:

Josh

Josh Smith said:
Told a female friend of mine that she was going to have to fire off a muzzleloader here in front of her boyfriend, so that the boyfriend would feel like he couldn't be shown up.

Figure that'll be two more :D

Josh

Sounds like it might work!
You're a sly one, you! :hatsoff:

The range I am a member of has an annual Open House. Several manufacturers attend and bring all sorts of CF rifles and pistols. The public is invited to attend and people get to try out any weapon that interests them just for the price of ammo.
Well, the Illini Muzzleloaders, of which I am a member, also attend. We set up at the first range just inside the main gate, bring our own personal muzzleloaders, supply the ammo., and let anyone who wants to try out a muzzleloader shoot our guns free of charge.
Last summer was my first year and it rained. The range has covered shooting stations so the open house was on anyway but I think attendance would have been higher with nicer weather. I used up almost a full pound of powder anyway. The public loved us and I had a great time too. I don't know how many people fired their first shot with a MLer using my guns that day. I know a bunch of 'em left with a big smile tho.
I fully intend to do it again this year. :thumbsup:

Ah shucks Mike, my head won't be able to fit through the door soon :haha: :rotf: :shake: .

Seriously though, I just wanted to help the boy. The newsworthiness was an after-thought. I am glad that it means enough here to stimulate other "just plain folk like me" to try to make a difference! :thumbsup:

Dave

Jim,

Open House is a really nice idea! :thumbsup: I'd like to present the idea to the Board of Trustees that I sit on at my local club! If you have any fliers of the particulars/format that your Club utilized, I'd be very interested in seeing it! Especially a price list of what the ammo cost each participant, whether you used "tickets" valued at "X" for this or that color ticket, etc.

Doing an all-day ML event is a lot of loading! I did a Scout Day at The Range at the State Association Range last May, and man, I was tired when it was done, but what a rewarding experience! Loaded over 125 balls that day w/o a single failure to fire! :)

If everyone did something, we'd ensure that our hobby would continue indefinitely! :wink: So a big Hat's Off to you too sir :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :) !

Dave

Tell you what, I'll pony up the cost for a one year subscription for the winner as determined by CaptainKirk.

Blessings!
Oldpagan

Oldpagan said:
Tell you what, I'll pony up the cost for a one year subscription for the winner as determined by CaptainKirk.

Blessings!
Oldpagan

Yer on!
OK, folks, PT me your "scores" as mentioned earlier on (remember; we're on the "honor system" here) and I will forward the winning number to Oldpagan after Jan. 1 2012.
Now get out there and recruit! :thumbsup:

Well, the last time I went shooting there was a boy scout troop working on marksmanship merit badges. My son and I were out to exercise mine and his .50's. I went and talked to the range master cause I didn't wish to scare the bejabbers out of them on the first shot! I offered that if any of the scouts wished to see what BP was all about they were welcome down at our station. I went back and got set up, turned around and had about 20 kids and 4 adults clustered around. My son and I spent a wonderful half hour or more explaining muzzleloaders and loading and letting them shoot. EVERYONE got at least one round off! It was a great afternoon. At the time my son was 16 yrs old and did a fantastic job handling and loading safely! I was very proud of him!

airmansteve said:
Well, the last time I went shooting there was a boy scout troop working on marksmanship merit badges. My son and I were out to exercise mine and his .50's. I went and talked to the range master cause I didn't wish to scare the bejabbers out of them on the first shot! I offered that if any of the scouts wished to see what BP was all about they were welcome down at our station. I went back and got set up, turned around and had about 20 kids and 4 adults clustered around. My son and I spent a wonderful half hour or more explaining muzzleloaders and loading and letting them shoot. EVERYONE got at least one round off! It was a great afternoon. At the time my son was 16 yrs old and did a fantastic job handling and loading safely! I was very proud of him!

I know just what you mean! Some of the greatest memories I have are of my Eagle Scout Son teaching BP to other Scouts & Adult Leaders at a Camporee a few years ago! I stood back and let him do the demo, and he had everybody's attention :grin: and I was the proud Dad!

Nothing quite like the feeling of "spreading the word" one explosion (ignition) at a time :shocked2: :haha: :thumbsup: :) .

Glad you had a great time too! :hatsoff: :applause:

Dave

You are so right! And it really does my heart good to see that what I have taught my sons is staying with them. It's like I can be sure that they will be okay.

I got two that are taking the required schooling (laws here) and such because we were on the range and they wanted to shoot my rifle.....
that makes how many points?
aaah yes...when they buy their rifles guess who's going with them to show them whats what... :grin:

Ken, so far that's 200 points. And you are now officially the front-runner.
Get them both to join the forum...add 50 points.
Get them both to buy a black powder gun...add another 100 points.
Nice work! :thumbsup:

I Just Earned 100 Points!!!!
Took my grand-daughter shooting today with my son; first time she ever shot any gun, let alone a BP gun. I tried to get her to shoot the Trade Rifle, but she said it was "too big". Got her started with my Pietta Colt's Navy .36, and she went from shooting waaaay high from the bench, to hitting FIVE OUT OF SIX on the 12 inch gong, at 25 yards, STANDING, OFFHAND!!!
There were a bunch of old-timers standing around watching me coach her (with amusement & words of encouragement) and when Amber rang the gong five times, they all started clapping and cheering! The look on her face was priceless! (She out-shot her Dad, and tied her Grandpa!) Too early to tell if it took, but I'm thinkin'..... :grin:
This was also the first time her dad has shot BP in a very long time, (probably since he was 14?) and you could see it getting hold of him again!
Pass It On! :thumbsup:

Back