• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Patented Breech Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a 50 cal Kentucky pistol and was hoping my 38 cal brass jag I use on my other rifles will fit their Breech. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

I have a flushing system I use on all my others so I don't have to disassemble the guns to clean them. Just swape the nipple for the cleaning one and attach the hose. I want to clean the breach from the bore with my cleaning rod, if needed.

I started to worry about not being able to swab my patent breech too. Tried a tip I saw on the forum: take a Q-tip and screw it into the end of your ramrod, it's not as good as a brush but at least it'll get in there!

I helped a guy fix his Traditions patent breech woes. We unbreeched it, opened up the patent breech recess to a larger size, and flared the opening to the recess so there was no step, but still a good seal against the barrel. Polished the whole patent breech recess till it shone. No more ignition or cleaning problems.

I helped a guy fix his Traditions patent breech woes. We unbreeched it, opened up the patent breech recess to a larger size, and flared the opening to the recess so there was no step, but still a good seal against the barrel. Polished the whole patent breech recess till it shone. No more ignition or cleaning problems.
I did the same thing to a Pedersoli Hatfield copy. Had to shorten the touch hole liner as well. Helped a lot! Problem was still a poorly performing lock.
I have a healthy dislike for the chambered (patent) breech design.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1112.jpeg
    IMG_1112.jpeg
    872.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    932.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I did this 'in-situ' in a 45 CVA/Traditions - I damaged the barrel threads in an earlier attempt - the plug being harder than the barrel and the burrs from the drum stripped the softer barrel threads. - Had to cut off and rebreech = hence doing it in-situ second time around. Ignition and fouling build up were pretty much improved out of sight.

Don't you guys know that once you take a cva/Traditions drum and breech plug apart you will never get it back together again?? :eek:🤣

Great pictures, @Snooterpup ! I think you and @rich pierce are on to something.

I would like to know the diameter of the chamber as it comes from the factory, if anybody can say.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Hello Notchy Bob,
Zoom in on the first caliper photo, .220 as measured with a drill bit as came from the factory. I increased it to .325, the tapered in to encourage the powder to funnel into the chamber. I did not feel comfortable going larger.
I think this is true for all Pedersoli variations of the Frontier, Hatfield or Blue Ridge rifles. Perhaps other Pedersoli’s as well, not certain about that.

Last edited:
Great pictures, @Snooterpup ! I think you and @rich pierce are on to something.

I would like to know the diameter of the chamber as it comes from the factory, if anybody can say.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
On my Traditions Kentucky rifle 50 cal, the patent breech hole was drill at 4.5mm(.177") from the factory, and I had a lot of trouble with it fouling over and getting powder to flow through it.

I made a long drill by center drilling a 36" section of 3/8" steel rod and pressed in a 7/32" (.218") cobalt drill and cross pinned it to the rod. After I opened up the hole 95% of my flash in the pan issues went away. I pump with water, but I also can use a .22 cal. brush and mop it needed .

I used a brass muzzle guard to keep the drill centered and used lots of quality cutting oil. Not something I would recommend to the novice but fairly straight forward with the right tools and skill set.

Latest posts

Back