• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale Whitworth breech/ignition issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S.

32 Cal
Reaction score
Dear All

I’ve always wanted a Parker Hale Whitworth, and was able to acquire one at a recent gun show. It shot reliably at first, but now I’m having ignition problems. After reviewing all I can find on the Whitworth patent breech and its complicated construction, I can only conclude that I have somehow flooded the second breech or area behind the powder chamber. I was cleaning it the same way I do my muskets, breech end down in a bucket of hot water and Dawn, making sure I can spray water out of the nipple/ clean out screw, etc. After failing to fire, I’m getting moisture and black powder slurry in the nipple. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Do you think I need to heat the barrel and dry it out? Send to someone for complete disassembly of the breech? Ugh.

Thanks!

Bill

South Carolina

Dry it out, swab out the breech with alcohol ... and ONLY store it muzzle down! That last step helps cure ignition issues with patent breeches and many other BP arms with convoluted firing channels.

IMHO your slurry is remnant oil mixing with remnant powdah.

Much appreciated, Flint.
I’m guilty of over oiling my guns for storage. Prior to shooting I fold up a cleaning patch and put it on the nipple and ease the hammer down on it. I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to wash out any oils. Spray it down the barrel, swish it around and dump it out. I do that a few times then set it muzzle down and wait for the cleaner to evaporate. Fire a few caps to eliminate anything remaining. Those cleaners aren’t good for the stock so keep it off of it. Alcohol works too but I find the carb/brake cleaner to work better.

Thank you TreeMan. I shot today, incorporating both of your advice. Results are better. I also think I may be suffering from a bit of damp powder, given weeks of rain. I will be upgrading my powder storage methods due to the humidity here in SC.

Hmmm…..now I’m wondering if my pedersoli mortiner whitworth has a patent breech

Latest posts

Back