• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BREECH PLUG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffg

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
READY TO INSTALL A BREECH PLUG ON MY BARREL, I NEVER PUT ONE ON BEFORE SO ANY HELPFUL TIPS WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS

First , measure the depth of the plug hole in the barrel. Compare the measurement to the length of the plug. If the plug is too short for the hole , file the barrel down until the measurement of the plug is close. Try the threaded plug in the barrel. If the plug is too long for the dept of the tapped hole , you might have to trim off the threaded end of the plug. This is a "cut , and fit" operation , and might test your patientes. If you have no belt sander , it will be a slow filing operation. When you have a perfect fit , polish the end of the breech plug , so it will mirror a flash light shown in the muzzle end for barrel inspection. When the plug top aligns w/ a barrel flat , Urrrr close to done. A good vise , with brass sheet metal jaw covers , and a good size Crescent wrench is invaluable. After you've done a hundred or so , it's much easier. LOL

Great info!!! But first send the wife and kids away for the day- you need to concentrate on the job to do it right!

You will need some kind of marking medium, soot works, I like Prussian blue. You need to mark your plug, screw it in and see by the marking medium pattern left on the plug if you have a good seal on the shoulder in the breech. This can be tricky but doable if you take your time.

blue.JPG

Now for the really hard part; When you have a good breech seal with your plug you also have to have a barrel flat line up with the tang. It doesn't have to be the top flat but you don't want the letters on the bottom flat of the barrel up on the side flat where they will show.

You want the breech to be sealed and have the tang lineup like this at the same time. You may have to see-saw between taking metal off the breech end of the barrel and the plug to get things just right.

tang barrel fit.JPG

go slow when it comes to taking off metal. once you remove too much you have to go to the next flat. a good vise and wrench is nesisary to get things tight. and I put anti sieze on the threads. the plug is likely going to have be checked for fit a few times and once the gun is built if it ever needs to be unbreeched it will make the job much easier.

Latest posts

Back