• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Switching to round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeehaw92

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hopefully I posted this in the right area, but I’m looking at switching to patch and round ball. Currently I’m shooting 275 grain T/C maxi hunters (.50 cal. Rifle: CVA Plainsman, 65 grains 2FF, RMC Felt wad), my question is if the balls are .490, do I need to use a .010 patch? I’m new to patch and round ball and haven’t used them before. Any help or advice is appreciated. (Hopefully my current load helps). Thank you.

Go straight to JoAnne fabrics #40 drill at about .017 to .018. It's good stuff and fits many rifles quite well. If it's not tight enough go to .495 ball. This has a very high probability of working and if it does it will save you a massive turd hunt.
I use this in my .50 traditions with a .490. Excellent accuracy and not so tight that I hate using it.

Hopefully I posted this in the right area, but I’m looking at switching to patch and round ball. Currently I’m shooting 275 grain T/C maxi hunters (.50 cal. Rifle: CVA Plainsman, 65 grains 2FF, RMC Felt wad), my question is if the balls are .490, do I need to use a .010 patch? I’m new to patch and round ball and haven’t used them before. Any help or advice is appreciated. (Hopefully my current load helps). Thank you.
Use Walmart standard pillow ticking with .490 perfect fit

It depends on how accurate you want to be. Most folks use pillow ticking or drill cloth, but I've seen people use T-shirt material or denim. If you just want something that will shoot well in your rifle, pillow ticking works very well. If you want maximum accuracy, get a little of each type and go shoot to see which one will give the smallest group. Don't change anything else (powder charge, cap maker, etc.). Wipe the bore between shots to keep it as much the same as possible.
After you determine the best patch material you can vary the powder charge, again to get the best group. Once you have found that, it's time to try different patch material again to see if there is any difference; probably won't be.

Or, you can be like me and just use pillow ticking and 50 grains of FFFg and call it good.... 🙂

Use Walmart standard pillow ticking with .490 perfect fit
Standard Walmart pillow ticking isn't very standard. Thickness and tightness of weave cam vary quite a bit from 0.012 to 0.018 and the can be either tight or open. That ticking must be measured to determine the thickness. Much better to go to JoAnn's Fabrics to get the #40 cotton drill in the utility section. This cloth has always consistently measured at 0.017" and has a tight weave. They also have a good selection of pillow ticking and mattress ticking. Take calipers or a micrometer to measure at the store. Wash and dry hot to remove the sizing from the fabric. Removing the sizing make the fabric softer to hold the lubricant better and compress better into the grooves.

I used ticking for years; I measured each yard that I bought with calipers but it did vary from lot to lot. I switched to #40 drill cloth this year and find it as tough as nails and very consistently sized. No more ticking for me.

I tried to get some drill cloth a while back at the local JoAnn's. I asked for help finding it and the people there had not clue what I was looking for....
It should be in the utility cloth section with the muslins and osnaburgs.

Unbleached Drill Fabric 40''​

Item # 683532

Here's a link to the fabric if you want to get it on line. Also use their coupons. There's always a discount sometimes 40% to 50%.

https://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-unbleached-drill-fabric/683532.html

Latest posts

Back