• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .32 cal Crockett kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it does help. But first let me tell you I’m happy for you and you’re sure to get to shooting yours before me it would appear.

Someone on here said ‘try the magnum caps’ ... well, as I had just received my order and they all said ‘magnum’ I got to believing there was not a ‘standard’ plus a ‘magnum’ but I see your can is different. However, as there is the hazmat fee plus I had to order 2000 caps ... it’s now much better for me to find a nipple that fits my caps.

Attachments

• 255E8CD7-DA21-4331-86FB-1E4A1A69BBB5.jpeg
    255E8CD7-DA21-4331-86FB-1E4A1A69BBB5.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 65
Now we know the two caps from CCI fit differently ... if you don’t know the right way to ask a question you aren’t likely to get the right answer.

Reading at TOTW regarding their nipples they say they were made to fit the CCI caps well, so now I’ll be checking for a good tight fit.

I don’t know why I’m surprised but there is so much to learn ... not only does the Crockett use 6mm threads but not all nipples are the same diameter.

Reading at TOTW regarding their nipples they say they were made to fit the CCI caps well, so now I’ll be checking for a good tight fit.

I don’t know why I’m surprised but there is so much to learn ... not only does the Crockett use 6mm threads but not all nipples are the same diameter.

I agree totally about so much to learn.

Back when I first started shooting black powder way back in '78, it did not seem to have as many options as are out there now.
A good reason for the forum and all the helpful people on here.

Too bad you are not close to me, I could at least give you a few of my caps to see what happens.

Well, there’s no doubt the hammer isn’t hitting the cap and as I understand it they either bend the hammer or reduce the stop. Could be they do neither and just replace the action. Anyway, now I know I need the right nipple for these caps.

I had trouble with the hammer on my Crockett lining up with the nipple when I began working on it. I thought I was going to have to bend the hammer, which I really didn't want to bother with. After looking over the lock area I could see that with a small flat straight edged palm chisel i could make a correction to the inletting and move the hammer over the nipple. That left the lock plate slightly below the wood. As I was reshaping the lock panel anyway it was easy enough to take the wood down to the lock plate and make everything look right.

Palm chisels are seldom mentioned as tools for carving on muzzle loader stocks but I'm always using mine for something. You could build a stock from scratch using nothing but palm chisels, but it would take a while. Little tools can work big, but big tools can't work small.

Kansas, you sound very knowledgeable. I have 2000 CCI MAGNUM #11M caps and the nipple must be 6 mm threads. I see no mention of nipples for the magnum caps and the standard caps easily fall off the nipple that comes on the rife.

Could you speculate on who may carry the nipple I need?

Kansas, you sound very knowledgeable. I have 2000 CCI MAGNUM #11M caps and the nipple must be 6 mm threads. I see no mention of nipples for the magnum caps and the standard caps easily fall off the nipple that comes on the rife.

No need to find a different nipple, use your thumb nail and put a tiny crimp in the edge of the cap and use them. I’ve done it a lot over the years as you can’t all ways find the one cap you need. This isn’t rocket science!

It’s just not the right way in my opinion. I don’t want to have to crimp my caps when I can get the right sized nipple, but thanks.

CCI makes both the standard and magnum caps but in all my research it’s difficult to find the nipple for the magnum.

I didn’t know the difference when ordering supplies and when ordering I was shipped the magnums. Later I found that the standard #11 cap fits the Traditions Crockett rifle well but now I have $300 worth of these caps. I need the right nipple rather than pinch 3000 caps.

It’s not rocket science, true. And you can eat stew with a fork but there is a better way.

Hey Gowacky,
Just how far from south eastern Wisconsin are you?
If you are within a reasonable distance, I would love to see your Crockett and help out if I can.
If nothing else, I will see if I can find some of the same caps you have locally, and try them on mine and report back.....

Dang, I just googled those caps, and everyone wants to sell no less than a case for around $275.00 plus shipping!
If I shot that many times, my gray beard would be down to my knees well before I would run out of caps.

I will talk to my local gunsmith on Wednesday and see what he has to say, but that seems to be extortion in my book!

Railshot, you’re a good man and if it were at all feasible I’d love to get with you but as I’m on the high plains of Texas we just can’t make that happen.

You’re right in that I could only buy by the case and then after placing the order with Cabellas I learned they were back ordered so I ordered from Brownells also. Now I’ve received both orders so I do have quite an supply of caps. I’m glad you will talk to your gunsmith as I’m just nowhere close to a gunsmith. And if you can find the CCI MAGNUM I’m sure you will see the cap just sits on the nipple. Pinching it keeps it on but I would like to find a nipple that will hold it firmly as hunting as it is would be a problem.

Quinn, the magnum cap is just a fraction larger than the standard. It’s also hotter but it’s the size that’s the problem. With the ‘oversize’ nipples I think they would hold the magnum cap better but I need to find them with the 6-1 mm thread.

I’m anxious to get on the phone this morning. There are so many businesses that carry nipples I just need to find the right one.

I'm not one you should ask about caps. I'm pretty good at wood and metal work, but not a very involved shooter. #11 regular caps is all I use, and get by with them no matter how they fit. Long ago I tried magnums but couldn't see that they made any difference.

Over the years I've found there are variations in both cap and nipple sizes. Manufacturing tolerance differenrces I guess. Some work better than others.

I haven't checked to see what nipples might be available, but if you could find one a bit too big you could probably chuck it in a drill and polish the taper with emery cloth until a cap fits tight. I suppose a tool could be made, a sizing die, to tighten caps, but unless you could do it yourself it probably wouldnt be worth the cost.

I almost always deal with Track, and I'd start there when looking for the right nipple. I'd actually phone them and discuss the issue. You could hash out a solution easier that way than by email. Talking is faster than typing and usually more effective.

I’ve been talking to TOTW and he said I could turn down the taper on a standard nipple to fit the magnum. I have their nipple on order and I’ll see soon. The rep at CCI said the two caps are identical and I’m guessing my #11M will fit my brothers 50 cal just fine. So I would think it will hold the cap firmly. It could be the nipple that Traditions picked for this rifle. Seems that with the same threads it would work in my Crockett. I’m just wondering if the gunsmith at Traditions will adjust the hammer to hit this nipple?

Maybe it’s the photo, or maybe it’s not permanently in place, but to me it looks like the nose cap is drooping? Shouldn’t the top line of the nose cap be in line with the top edge of the stock?
09291-C11-332-E-413-B-BDF0-2303-B77-DC450.jpg

Ditto on what Hanshi says. As far as the staining goes, the guy at Ace Hardware told me that maple doesn't take stain very well, so I bought some wood dye instead for a rifle I was reworking. Looks like yours worked out alright though.

Latest posts

Back