• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .32 cal Crockett kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a hickory rod will look great with the gun, but as the owner of a 32 caliber Deer Hunter, I would use the aluminum rod as a range rod and maybe even swap it out for the hickory when doing serious hunting.

Properly made a hickory rod will shine for many, many years. I'm a serious hunter who puts game in the freezer every year, I always use a hickory rod that is correctly made and pinned. Problem with aluminum, one bend and your done, hickory is forgiving in that area to an extent. Also keep in mind a metal rod will never replace proper usage, any rod improperly used is a problem. I will always recommend a well made, straight grained hickory rod over metal. Take it for what it's worth, just my opinions and nothing more. ;)

On another note, I now need one of these little kits for my own doing thanks to railshot!

Properly made a hickory rod will shine for many, many years. I'm a serious hunter who puts game in the freezer every year, I always use a hickory rod that is correctly made and pinned. Problem with aluminum, one bend and your done, hickory is forgiving in that area to an extent. Also keep in mind a metal rod will never replace proper usage, any rod improperly used is a problem. I will always recommend a well made, straight grained hickory rod over metal. Take it for what it's worth, just my opinions and nothing more. ;)

On another note, I now need one of these little kits for my own doing thanks to railshot!

It is a fun little one to build and I cannot wait to see how it shoots if I ever get it done!
Glad I have you interested in one....Heheh.
Hickory it is then for the rod.

Today's adventures.....
Bought myself some wood working files, some good wood chisels, a bore light (little led thingy) and another powder measure.
Not sure why I got the measure, but it was there..... so, eh, why not.

I filed down the end cap wood, and this time I think I am at a point that I can live with it.
Hope others agree, because there is not much wood left now.

Endcap 7.jpg

Dang it, I did not see the scratches until I posted this picture below....… a little more sanding ahead if have enough wood left.
They are very small, but I know it is going to bother me sooner or later.

endcap 8.jpg

endcap 9.jpg

In the picture below, I do know there is a gap on this side of the end cap.
A plan is in the works for that item.
Need to make some filler.

endcap 10.jpg

I also decided to re-sand the whole stock again, (3rd time now) as I did not like the variations in the stain and grain.
This time, instead of going to 220 grit, I stopped at 150 grit.

The stock took the stain much better and is much more even!

stock refinish 3.jpg

Now on to the bluing...… yes, I am going to cold blue it for now so it matches my other two kits.
I can always brown it later, and it is just too cold out to go to the garage to do the browning correctly.

I am not a big fan of shiny brass, and have ran across a product called "Brass Black" on the internet sold by Birchwood Casey.
It is supposed to turn the brass into an almost black to dark steel look.

Anyone ever use it?
It may make for an interesting finish.

Brass Black does make a very black coating on brass parts but, the coating is very, very thin.
It isn't very resistant to being rubbed off so if the part gets a lot of handling or rubbing on anything the underlying brass will begin to show thru.

It is also very BLACK and it doesn't look at all like the bluing on a steel gun part.

If you use it, I think coating it with a clear lacquer is a good idea to give it some wear resistance. You can get these clear lacquers in a spray can in dull, satin and gloss to make the finish you are after.

Much improved look on the forearm! See that wasn’t so hard, now if you could turn your attention to the lock panels the rifle will really start to stand out. Look closely at the long rifle photo you posted. Note how the wood under the lock is trimmed to about 3/16” wide. Also at the top of the lock and they blend at the tail end. With your new files it will be easy. You’ve come so far with this project that you have others following in your foot prints, make us proud.

Thanks Phil, and I am trying to figger out what to do with that area right now after reading your reply....
A file in my hands could be a dangerous thing though!

Think I will see if I can find me a 2x4 made from beechwood to practice on....
heheh, who knows, I may just wind up with either toothpicks, or an original "railshot" stock.
Hope to make you all proud of this old fart someday.
Everyone has been extremely helpful with suggestions and ideas.
Appreciated.

Happy Birthday, you feel better today than you will tomorrow! I bought a Crocket and someone de-farbed it. There isn't any writing on the barrel Sweet rifle. You will love it.
Nit Wit

Happy Birthday, you feel better today than you will tomorrow! I bought a Crocket and someone de-farbed it. There isn't any writing on the barrel Sweet rifle. You will love it.
Nit Wit

Very good to hear nit wit!
Heheh, just to put everyone straight on my age, I am 65 and will be 66 on December 16th....
I guess I did not respond to the earlier birthday wish properly, and my comment as to the thanks was.... well, I think we all have a new birthday every day!
Happy Birthday to everyone! LOL....

I have the barrel blued and looking pretty dang good to me until I can brown it next spring, so I tried to put the sights in.....
LMAO, they fall right through!

Nothing that a touch of peening won't fix, but I will be contacting Traditions to let them know.....
hmmmm, I have an idea for them, but will keep it to myself until I get a reply from them (ok, it involves me, my quality manager and manufacturing / injection molding background... and possibly helping them out... lord knows, it looks like they could use it after my 3 builds).

Otherwise I now have a 95% finished rifle!
Until I get to playing with the lock area of the stock.... again. ;)

Completed, but the sights fell out when laying down on the floor, and that ramrod.....

It is so ugly it could.... "make a freight train take a dirt road!"
Found that one on the internet today and liked it …. heheh

stock completed but.jpg

I am enjoying reading your journey to fulfillment through building a rifle kit. Last one I did was a T/C Renegade 25 years ago. Very easy and turned out great, still have it. I like the idea of a .32 myself and your experience may convince me to try one myself. Hopefully retirement will be in about 3 years. Take care.

Big question on tools,I guess it depends on how deeply you intend to go on future builds.

I would start with a nice rasp, I use a NIcholson #49 and 50, they are a bit pricey and you can make do with one that costs much less, don't go too course. I use a Nicholson half round file a lot, less tool marks to deal with. I have an assortment of files, short ones, long ones, big one, small ones, wood and metal.

A set of cabinet scrapers are nice to have, both flat and round nose.

Then there are chisels, flat, skew and carving. I have bought good ones and cheap ones as well as made them from concrete nails and repurposed flea market 50 cent flat chisels to skew chisels. I do a lot of inletting with an 1/8" flat and a 1/8" skew chisel.

I am enjoying reading your journey to fulfillment through building a rifle kit. Last one I did was a T/C Renegade 25 years ago. Very easy and turned out great, still have it. I like the idea of a .32 myself and your experience may convince me to try one myself. Hopefully retirement will be in about 3 years. Take care.
I am glad to have had the opportunity to share this little adventure, and had hoped it would inspire others to try the same.
A .32 is a sweet spot for me that I did not have in my kit collection, so I went for it.
When I was very young, my whole family called me "Davy Crockett" so it was appropriate to get the Crockett!
That was my favorite TV show during my youth along with Zorro.... heheh, I have a story I will share sometime about my Zorro phase.
Let's just say for now, my mom was not pleased. :( …. It involves a knife and quite a few carved "Z's" around the house.

Retirement is good if you manage your time properly, you know, work on the rifle 90% of the time, play with the dog 10%, and oh yeah, say hi to the wife somewhere in between the working on the rifle and playing with the dog...… Heheh, keeps us not looking to kill each other... yet....

PS - Would brass shims beneath the sights lift them enough to encourage a tight fit in the dovetails?
Now why dint I think of that!
Brilliant idea that I will try today after I do the T day shopping....
The hardware store is right next door!

Big question on tools,I guess it depends on how deeply you intend to go on future builds.

I would start with a nice rasp, I use a NIcholson #49 and 50, they are a bit pricey and you can make do with one that costs much less, don't go too course. I use a Nicholson half round file a lot, less tool marks to deal with. I have an assortment of files, short ones, long ones, big one, small ones, wood and metal.

A set of cabinet scrapers are nice to have, both flat and round nose.

Then there are chisels, flat, skew and carving. I have bought good ones and cheap ones as well as made them from concrete nails and repurposed flea market 50 cent flat chisels to skew chisels. I do a lot of inletting with an 1/8" flat and a 1/8" skew chisel.
On my shopping list for the hardware store after the T day shopping!
Yesterday I bought a cheapo set, and found out the hard way that a course rasp takes a lot of wood off fast with very little effort, don't ask, but it was fixable thankfully.
Thanks for the input on the tools.
Appreciated!

I just returned from my T day shopping trip, the hardware store was fun, but no Nicholson rasps, and would you believe that the little local gun shop I have started to frequent was closed for deer hunting!
How dare they..... heheh.

When I got back, with brass shims in hand for the sights, which I have not tried yet, I started to look critically at the stock, and boy are you guys correct.

When I picked it up to aim it, the stock at the top around the hammer is so square and sharp, that it almost hurt to pull the trigger (no nipple in it yet, because I lost it somewhere between my room and the work area). :oops:
I have decided to really clean that area up to fit me comfortably, and maybe do a couple of other things with the stock for my tastes.

Another thing I think, it is going to need is a patch box.
I am now motivated to make this little .32 something special unlike the Hawken kit or the Kentucky kit.... those will be revisited probably when the snow flies here now that I have a better idea of my abilities and what to look for.
Nothing fancy, just a nice patch box inletted (gulp, here I go) into the stock.

Is there a specific place I can look for a patch box that anyone recommends?
Nothing too pricey for this one yet, just attractive and functional.

I truly do appreciate all the advice, hints, and suggestions from everyone even though this is just a modern cheapy kit.
I sincerely thank you all again for your input!

Others know more about your question but I would like to say your stock work is GREAT!:thumb:

Thanks azmntman, always good to hear any feedback and a positive one will motivate me more to improve.
I am liking the stock myself, but I now need to make it unique for me!

There is a small brass plate on the top of the stock right behind the hammer, and I plan on having it engraved in some sort of fancy script, (when I am finally satisfied with it), with my initials (DJL) and the year, 2018.
If my hands did not shake as much as they do, and my handwriting was not as bad as it is, I would consider doing it myself.
I will post a picture of that area later.

The thing about the Crockett that attracted me to it was the angle the stock takes from the hammer back down to the butt stock.
I find it quite attractive and different from the Hawken or the Tennessee by just a bit, but enough to make it unique.

I do apologize if I am posting too often, but I thought I had better submit this before I forget.
It took .015" total of brass shims to get the sights tight enough to where they do not move when bumped not so lightly, but are still adjustable..

Taking a few days off from working on the Crockett probably, so see you all just a bit later.

May your days be filled with questions that are quickly answered when needed, and found by you in time when life shares the answers with you.

I have been worried about your obsession with that monstrous gap around the brass nose cap. Send me the rifle and I will exorcise the demons from your rifle. That way, you can rest assured the problem is being taken care of.

And that Zorro thing ? I know all about that myself. That guy sure got around. ZZZZZZZZZ

I have been worried about your obsession with that monstrous gap around the brass nose cap. Send me the rifle and I will exorcise the demons from your rifle. That way, you can rest assured the problem is being taken care of.

And that Zorro thing ? I know all about that myself. That guy sure got around. ZZZZZZZZZ

I truly appreciate the offer!
Just send me about a bazillion dollars, and your shipping address, and I will send it out.
LOL, seriously this made made me LOL.....
Zorro is such an unheralded character, but my mom sure remembers him well.
:eek:

Back