• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade whiskey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 80's I went to a lot of rendezvous in CA when I started in "Buckskinning" with a Mountain Man group, the popular drink was "Apple Pie":

A gallon of unfiltered apple juice warmed on the stove, infused with apple pie spices, allowed to cool and then the juice was poured off the sludge of spices. You then spiked it with 750ml rum or brandy and a cup of 180 proof. Awesome around the campfire. Just don't get carried away with it, or you'll be carried away... literally!

In the 80's I went to a lot of rendezvous in CA when I started in "Buckskinning" with a Mountain Man group, the popular drink was "Apple Pie":

A gallon of unfiltered apple juice warmed on the stove, infused with apple pie spices, allowed to cool and then the juice was poured off the sludge of spices. You then spiked it with 750ml rum or brandy and a cup of 180 proof. Awesome around the campfire. Just don't get carried away with it, or you'll be carried away... literally!
Wow! Sounds like just the thing to get you thru a cold spell!

When I saw the tag line 'Trade Whiskey' I thought WOW! REALLY? The comments I've read thus far aren't exactly what I
expected.
Had a good friend. sadly. long gone now, that prided himself in following Mountain Man traditions believing himself to be the spiritual heir of men like Jim Bridger and others. The subjects of Rendezvous, Green River knives and such came up often in our conversations. (He didn't even like the movie, Gray Eagle, because it didn't portray mountain men properly.) So did 'trade whiskey.' According to him, 'trade whiskey' was pure grain alcohol, a bit of chewing tobacco juice for color and according to him and other research I've done, since Indians, WOOPS! Sorry, Native Americans, at the time, didn't believe whiskey was any good unless it made them sick, just a bit of strychnine added for effect.

Well if you use diluted grain alcohol, and an alcohol flavoring agent, like Still Sprits Bourbon Essence, you get the right flavor, but..., you often still get a solvent flavor on the back end. This is what you want, for a trade whiskey would likely not have been properly fully aged, but would've had some flavor. Otherwise folks would've called it moonshine, or corn liquor, etc..., not whiskey in the journals, etc.

LD

Latest posts

Back