• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade whiskey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bottle of 151 grain alc that I want to make into a reasonable trade whiskey.I'll cut it with water, but besides snake heads or tobacco what can I add to it?Im putting it in a oak keg to age for a month or so before rendevous( aged ya know)

You actually think you can let it age for a whole month? Better buy more than one bottle!
If you put in an oak keg make sure it's not charred inside. That will ruin the trade whiskey and make it smooth. That's what I hear anyway. 😉

Back when I could drink , the medicinal drink in the woods was Ginger Brandy. Still have a half gallon of it under the sink at camp. Two deer seasons ago , went to camp , and second night there , got the worst sore throat I ever can remember. Dumped 1/2 a water glass down my throat , burned fiercely all the way down , went to bed. Got up the next

Use spring water if you can. Also if aging in a charred oak barrel it will take longer than a month to really make a difference, it needs the temperature changes to enact the conversion and then there is the devils/angels share that you lose. I used a 2.5 gallon medium charred oak barrel stored in a barn for 6-8 months, went in the barrel clear came out nice and caramel colored and very tasty. Got about maybe 2 gallons out of it.

I have a bottle of 151 grain alc that I want to make into a reasonable trade whiskey.I'll cut it with water, but besides snake heads or tobacco what can I add to it?Im putting it in a oak keg to age for a month or so before rendevous( aged ya know)
You started too late. Buy a gallon of whiskey for this year and let that keg age for next year.

It's funny, you hear a lot about whiskey in re-enactor accounts but never about the ever-popular tavern drink "Flip" - as in he's "flipping out" or "its come to loggerheads". Pic of a loggerhead being heated in a tavern (traditionally heated in the tavern fireplace)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_(cocktail)

Attachments

• Loggerhead_Tales_of_the_Cocktail.jpg
    Loggerhead_Tales_of_the_Cocktail.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
I like the taste of a well made whiskey. Canadian, Irish, Scotch, USA doesn't matter. The world of whiskey offers many more flavors than Howard Johnson did with its 28 flavors of ice cream.
I like a little taste before supper and, like as not, another after. Reading and sipping slowly.

Nothing sweet! When I still made moonshine, I would have my still set up so the product would go through six layers of charcoal and coffee filters as it dripped into a funnel going to the jugs. It had the same effect as aging it for a long time. The best flavor I ever made was with a braid of sweet grass put in the gallon jugs. Delicious, subtle, and no hangover like sweet concoctions will cause!

Sam'l P. Arnold in his book EATING UP THE Santa Fe TRAIL has the following to say about trade whiskey additives and flavorings. "INJUN WHISKEY. 1 cup water. 2 tablespoons cut tobacco, 4 small dried red peppers, 1/2 teaspoon black gunpowder (DO NOT USE MODERN HIGH SPEED POWDER, WHICH IS POISONOUS). "Boil tobacco and red peppers for 5 minutes. Strain, retaining the tea. Add this to the whiskey, little by little, to taste. Then add gunpowder. It should have a gentle nip from the peppers and an herbal taste from the tobacco. The small amount of saltpeter in the black powder will have no effect! (Arnold, FRYING PANS WEST, 53)". Page 25.

"DILUTED OR DOPED ALCOHOL
Of all the desired items in the western Indian trade, alcohol was number one in importance. Fur traders found early on that they could successfully sell highly diluted alcohol to the Indians. By cutting it to less than 5 percent, the traders were able to amass large profits per gallon - as much as 10, 000 per cent. With the alcohol cut so thin, they would often add other items for taste. The recipe for Injun Whiskey in Chapter 2, for example, calls for red pepper, tobacco juice, and black gunpowder, a surprisingly tasty combination. It was said that in later years, when good pure whiskey came into Indian country, it was rejected because it "didn't have the good old-fashioned flavor."
In his book Rocky Mountain Life, Rufus B. Sage reported that in 1842, at Fort Laramie in eastern Wyoming, the American Fur Company carried on doping of alcohol with laudanum. It was the fur company's belief that spiking the alcohol with an opium tincture would slow down the violence that often followed big Indian drinking parties. A number of Indians died from overdoses." Pages 43 and 44 from EATING UP THE Santa Fe TRAIL

Nothing sweet! When I still made moonshine, I would have my still set up so the product would go through six layers of charcoal and coffee filters as it dripped into a funnel going to the jugs. It had the same effect as aging it for a long time. The best flavor I ever made was with a braid of sweet grass put in the gallon jugs. Delicious, subtle, and no hangover like sweet concoctions will cause!
Zubrowka. Polish vodka with bison grass in the bottle. They have been making it since the 1920's. Good stuff but not easy to find.

Back