• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track's mink oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mink and weasels are in the Mustalidae family - they do have anal glands. I've never encountered any ill odors from either.
But there is another animal in that same family that DOES emit a rather strong aroma - the common skunk. Maybe the folks at TOW ran out of minks, and made a little substitute?
Actual mink oil is made from the skin and body fat of the mink, btw. Not the anal sacs.

I ordered some SPG lube in a tin from track last wk. and it has very slight odor, hardly noticeable. You might want to try that next time!

I've used SPG for decades to lube BPCR bullets, it has no more odor than a stick of butter. Melt it in a bowl of hot water and pour it right in the lubrisizer, good stuff.

I have patch lube solved several ways, just looking for something a little more cold-weather friendly and many people swear by the mink oil so I thought I'd give it a go. Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas, I've got some things to try.

Check out "Bulk Apothecary.com" . Been using their oils for years to make cover scents.
Thanks. I actually do have access to these oils in bulk. I work for a small, veteran owned, family run, hard made soap company. I just try not to dip into our supplies that much for stuff I can easily get and don't use a lot of, also like to be able to tip people on easy local places they could get stuff.

I've used Mink Oil on leather but haven't tried it as
patch lube. I got some bear grease a while ago; use that for patches and to lube my lock. I like that odor.
I also tried some deer tallow for patches. I think that stinks.
To each their own preferences and tolerances.

I opened a new tin of mink oil this past spring that had been in an ammo can I store much of my BP stuff in, and although it’s new to me just now using it, the tin is at least 6 years old but stored at 70 degrees or lower. I would think how it’s stored has a considerable effect on the lube.

I’ve had a tub of mink oil for waterproofing boots that I’ll bet is 25 years old and has been stored in my garage since I bought it, no smell at all. I trap and can tell you REAL mink oil from glands has a very powerful smell and you don’t want to get it on you or your clothes.

I didn't store it in a hot box, but since I built a high-tensile game fence around my rural property and installed an automatic gate, UPS deliveries have to go in a locked drop box by the highway. The shipment spent the whole day in there getting hot on top of time it spent in a hot, UPS dry van making it's way across four states.

I left the lid off the can in my air-conditioned shop and the smell is much less potent after a day airing out, but it is still just as rancid/foul in nature.

I ordered some amyl ester last night, we'll see if I can make this smell like Hoppe's.

Like several have suggested, I think you're probably the victim of a prank. Friends with a warped sense of humor, maybe? I've got a jar of that stuff, had it for years - literally - and it sat on a shelf out in my "shop" in one corner of the garage. It's not air conditioned, and during one of our sunny summer afternoons it gets over 100 degrees out there. Would be really hot, but that part of the building is shaded by a big Live Oak. My Mink Oil doesn't stink either! Unless they've changed the formula, which doesn't sound plausible. T'was me, I'd dump that jar and get another one. Might even send it back to Track, see what they say about it.
Some years ago, an old friend living up north where it gets chilly in the evenings tells me that one of his crowd was romancing a young lady and told his buddies she was shy but about ready to give in. He was taking her out for dinner and planned to park afterwards someplace secluded for privacy. He had equipped his camper shell with a foam mattress for the occasion. A couple of the rowdier of his group decided to play a prank on him. They glued a small square of sheepskin to a flat magnet and one of them produced a bottle of Doe-In-Rut scent he got by mail order.
They knew where he was taking his date for dinner, so while the happy couple were eating, these nimrods stuck that magnetized piece of sheeps wool to his exhaust manifold, saturated with the concentrated doe scent. By the time dinner was over and the couple had driven to their chosen parking spot by the river, it had warmed up nicely. Now there's a smell for you! It totally spoiled his plans for the evening, and it took him days to find the source of the stench and even longer to purge the truck of it. Folks will do some strange things for a joke, amigo. Be advised.

TOW mink oil isn't supposed to smell bad. It does have a slight odor that I can rarely detect. I use it because it's excellent for hunting and leaving one's rifle loaded for months. All my shooting is at the range and I find Hoppes lube to be the better lube in this situation. My mink oil supply is pretty darn old I never notice any odor from it.

I mostly use bear grease now but I’ll still pull out my totw mink oil to wipe down this or that from time to time. I find the faint odour not unpleasant.

Or do I just go take a Midol and wash it down with some Bud Lite?
No, you got a rotten tin,, send it back.
It shouldn't be like that, call them and tell them.
Why gripe? They should fix it.
I live 35 miles from track, send it to me,, I'll take it down there and stuff it in John's face!
And tell them it came from this Forum, and give them a direct link to the topic, they are fully aware of this type of sharing!

p.s. using "mink oil" for lube is just a waste of time,, good luck with that, I use different and better techniques,
,but I will try ta help ya not be screwed.

Last edited:
Take a Midol, drink a Bud Lite and quit muzzleloading! TOTW's Mink 'Oil' (really a tallow) has little to no odor and is an excellent hunting lube. Do you even HUNT?!?! Or trap? Mother Nature's 'scents' are normal. Sorry you are a city guy. My own wife right now says after smelling 3 new cans of TOTW Mink Oil, that there is NO smell other than maybe "wax or oil" end quote.

Shots fired. Page two.

Alright. I have some P&I banana oil in hand. Maybe later after some family time I'll try treating a small sample. If it isn't satisfactory I will consider @necchi 's offer. I'd like an experienced person's first hand opinion of this tin anyway. If he likes it, he can keep it. I don't hunt much in below-freezing weather anyhow.

Back