• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

mink oil from TOTW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This recipe has been brought up many, many times. But it’s one of the few that a lot of those here say they use, including myself.
It’s equal parts of melted beeswax, crisco, and oil. I use canola oil, some use olive oil.
And the last batch I made I started with just beeswax and crisco, then added canola oil until I got the consistency I wanted. Had to let it cool and solidify a couple of times, then re melt to get it where I wanted it. This batch ended up more like 40%, 40% and 20% oil. You vary the amount of oil to suite the temperature.

For those who mix there own, there is a web site that carries just about everything you can imagine, except mink oil. "Bulk Apothecary". I use their oils for hunting cover sent. Their price on pure lanolin and bees wax seem pretty fair.

Boot dressing "mink oil" has silicone in it for water proofing. It really isn't mink oil. It still might work, but I don't want it in my barrel.
Been using mink oil for over 30 years and have no issues with it. No silicone in mine.

With all the products available that have been tested and proven over time, it amazes me how so many people use some half baked, home made concoction as a lube!! I think they must have wanted a "chemistry set" when they were little and never got one! LOl : )
I figured it was part of the old pioneer spirit. You can own a house in town, but those far blue mountains sure look good.......

With all the products available that have been tested and proven over time, it amazes me how so many people use some half baked, home made concoction as a lube!! I think they must have wanted a "chemistry set" when they were little and never got one! LOl : )
I always wanted a chemistry set…..

;)

While this is all very interesting. I would like to know what Mink Oil is made of. ? I have looked at various brands and they are all different in their make up. Some have silicon, paraffin, Neetsfoot oil etc in them. then some say, XX,and YY and Mink Oil, but never explain what Mink Oil actually is?

While this is all very interesting. I would like to know what Mink Oil is made of. ? I have looked at various brands and they are all different in their make up. Some have silicon, paraffin, Neetsfoot oil etc in them. then some say, XX,and YY and Mink Oil, but never explain what Mink Oil actually is?
Isn’t actual mink oil (not preparations, etc.) rendered from mink?

Attachments

• 3FD78864-2662-42B7-B9EC-D63D0480E25A.jpeg
    3FD78864-2662-42B7-B9EC-D63D0480E25A.jpeg
    599.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back