• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track's mink oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a tin of this stuff and not being accustomed to dealing with rodent glands as some of you may, the "aroma" coming from the can when I opened it almost made me retch. Continued exposure would definitely make me retch. This is the rankest stuff I think I've ever encountered and that includes rendering rancid grizzly bear fat. So, any recommendations on perfuming it with something to alter the smell? Or do I just go take a Midol and wash it down with some Bud Lite?

I got a tin of this stuff and not being accustomed to dealing with rodent glands as some of you may, the "aroma" coming from the can when I opened it almost made me retch. Continued exposure would definitely make me retch. This is the rankest stuff I think I've ever encountered and that includes rendering rancid grizzly bear fat. So, any recommendations on perfuming it with something to alter the smell? Or do I just go take a Midol and wash it down with some Bud Lite?
Midol mine doesn’t smell.

Mine STINKS, and I tolerate bad smells pretty well from having done things like changed the walking beams under a garbage truck with maggots and household garbage sqeezings dripping on my face. Didn't like that much but didn't get queasy doing it, either. Granted, it's been 105 in the shade all week and mine spent the day inside a black metal drop box in full sun so a little grease leaked out of the can and wet the inside of the plastic zip bag it shipped in, but after spending 30 hours in a 68 degree shop it still smells very, very bad, like a cross between rotten guts and the back end of a ripe billy goat. Don't ask about the billy goat, you either know or you don't and you only have to get within 20 feet of one to know.

Dayum … must be you, LOL … I’ve never smelled such an odor from a can of TOW ‘rendered’ mink oil …

In odor, I label it at ‘less infasive’ than even Ballistol … which now causes me to ‘gag’! After using it for years ….
I had a bottle with 8:1 ballistol and water leak out in my truck over a hot summer weekend. Ever since then I cannot stand the smell of the stuff but I still use it.

Dayum … must be you, LOL … I’ve never smelled such an odor from a can of TOW ‘rendered’ mink oil …

In odor, I label it at ‘less infasive’ than even Ballistol … which now causes me to ‘gag’! After using it for years ….

Ballistol doesn't smell like roses but isn't really bothersome to me at all. it's subjective, of course, but this mink oil stinks so badly there's no way I can use it without some serious modifications.

The smell doesn’t bother me but maybe yours is rancid for some reason? Maybe try essential oils. Can be found for $5 an ounce at walmart in the candle isle. Almost any flavor you could want. I make my own lube and add some tea tree oil to it because it kinda smells like sagebrush and I like it. Just heat your mink oil and add a bit to it and see. Sounds like it would improve it? Good luck and keep us posted!

Mine definitely has an odor but isn't that overpowering, and I really don't like any strong odors,,,, including ones most people find pleasant.
I'm thinking something is up with the can you have, but I'm sure it will work fine. If you are only using it for patch/wad lube and other gun purposes I would add some sent to it,,, if using it on leather I would get another can.

Adding scent.....
Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you?
You can get essential oil scent oils in their candle making section.
I use these two quite a bit,
20230720_044546.jpg

They have others such as peppermint, orange, lavender, and bergamot.
Please keep in mind, a very little goes a long way. We are talking drops, like from an eye dropper, and I don't always trust the top that comes on these bottles. Hobby Lobby also carries these,
16898429930657427240762798530632.jpg

They are very helpful.
Gently melt your mink oil, double boiler or tiny electric crock-pot, at worst an electric hot plate on low. Once it is melted remove from the heat, add a few drops of oil, and stir. (I use one of those wooden coffee stirrers when I add scent oil to coconut oil or Shea butter, the cedar seems to help keep mosquitoes from biting)
The more you stir it while it resolidifies the better,,, but it will take quite a while to become solid again.
If it wasn't enough, remelt and add more, but remember if you add too much you could thin the consistency of the product.

I have peppermint, tea tree, and eucalyptus oils for mixing in small quantities with water as a chiggar/mosquito repellant spray. I may try something else, maybe pine scent or something. Will definitely have to do it outside.
Sorry, somehow I missed this before posting the above.... still on my 1st cup of coffee

I use it and it has little to no odor to my ancient olfactory sensors. I heated mine to melt it and put in a smaller tin for my shooting bag and it doesn't stink any more than before. I don't think the heat is your problem.
I would look towards one of your shooting buddies playing a practical joke on you by lacing your Mink Oil with trappers lube or catfish bait. Stranger things have happened. :rolleyes:

I'm taken back to a scene in the movie Silence of the Lambs involving a morgue, a dead body and a jar of Vick's Vapor Rub being passed around...
Simply change one smell for another ;)

Mine doesn't have an unpleasant odor either. I've got two cans I've dipped into.
I'm thinking you got a bad can? Can this stuff go rancid? Mine hasn't changed odor in 5-6 years now.

Back