• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mink oil from TOTW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use what you got till you don't. Either while you have it or want to try something different. Muzzleloading supplies are difficult to come by here in winston salem, nc. Wally world had 1 tube of some type of bore goop, Academy had 2 tubes of some form. I wanted to try something I could readily get.
Plus, imagine having to squeeze all those thousands of little minks in order to collect that much oil!:)

Sturmkatze
I don't care what people say . However in this case I ask if people were having problems with Bore Butter and Wonder Lube and got some very interesting answers that seemed reasonable. Since I am always trying to make my experience better I took their advice . Besides I am always interested in learning new things and trying new ideas.

I could certainly get along fine with bore butter and I still have a good supply . I will probably burn it up one day.
Bore butter makes my guns orange

Attachments

• A0A07BB6-1214-4620-A225-99565571C183.png
    A0A07BB6-1214-4620-A225-99565571C183.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Anyone tried bear oil? I don’t have any but a friend has some I can get whenever I get a chance to go up to the North Carolina mountains
Many Oldtimers swear by bear oil and say that that is what all of the fur trappers/mountain men depended on. @Frontier’s on here has a lube that contains bear oil when available.

Rather than rely on mail order and shipping costs, why not consider making your own BP lube? E.g., Stumpy's Moose Snot is easily made and can be adjusted for "firmness" to suit the application; and you'd don't have to use castor oil as per the recipe. Here's a link to it: Making Stumpys Moose Snot Btw, depending on the brand, granulation, charge you use + ambient humidity, you can get at least 8 shots off (and as many as 12) without having to swab the bore. It really is easy to make and costs much less than Mink Oil.

Rather than rely on mail order and shipping costs, why not consider making your own BP lube? E.g., Stumpy's Moose Snot is easily made and can be adjusted for "firmness" to suit the application; and you'd don't have to use castor oil as per the recipe. Here's a link to it: Making Stumpys Moose Snot Btw, depending on the brand, granulation, charge you use + ambient humidity, you can get at least 8 shots off (and as many as 12) without having to swab the bore. It really is easy to make and costs much less than Mink Oil.
Because we are discussing Mink oil in its various forms, unless we get distracted.

Has anyone ever used the "Jobsite" brand of oil marked Liquid "Mink Oil"

It has a concoction of various slick thing in it.
From their description....Active cleaners and conditioners include a blend of mink oil, silicone, lanolin and pure Neatsfoot oil.

I mentioned wanting to get some Mink oil , and my Gal ordered it from Amazon.
I used it on some patches yesterday and it seems to work fine.

minkoil.jpg

Has anyone ever used the "Jobsite" brand of oil marked Liquid "Mink Oil"

It has a concoction of various slick thing in it.
From their description....Active cleaners and conditioners include a blend of mink oil, silicone, lanolin and pure Neatsfoot oil.

I mentioned wanting to get some Mink oil , and my Gal ordered it from Amazon.
I used it on some patches yesterday and it seems to work fine.

View attachment 173055
I don’t know anything about that product, but I would guess it probably has just enough mink oil in it to be allowed to say that it has mink oil in it. I would maybe be concerned about putting silicone in my barrel, but if it works, great! There are definitely “worse” things that some people use for lube or cleaning. Good luck with it!

I don’t know anything about that product, but I would guess it probably has just enough mink oil in it to be allowed to say that it has mink oil in it. I would maybe be concerned about putting silicone in my barrel, but if it works, great! There are definitely “worse” things that some people use for lube or cleaning. Good luck with it!
That was my take on it too.

I was going out to try some Moose Snot I had made up, so I also tried the "mink oil".

check the first post, gives the company blue ribbon inc. sells 100% pure mink oil about the cheapest you can find, if you can find any other than TOTW.

Back