• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mink oil from TOTW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOTW Mink Oil works as a patch lube.
I pre-lubed a bunch of patches. After sitting in a container for a while they smelled rancid. The container was not air tight.

Since then I have switched to using cheap blue windshield washing fluid.
Pre-lubing is easy: In water tight container add patches, pour in fluid, shake.

If you want to blow your mother board search patch lube. I've used a bunch they all have one thing in common, they're all natural oils and greases. Some I've experimented with are better than others.I think it's like working up a load ,sometimes the gun will let you know. my 36 cal likes mink oil, the 45cal like moose milk,the 50 cals like balistol mixture presoaked patches. all blue pillow ticking. Bruce

Patchlubes are the difference between shooting a five shot 45, and a five shot 49 two x
Whip me with my own ramrod but in general shooting there is not a dimes difference in lubes from much kicked bore butter to the finest clear ‘bar ol’
As I said I like the snob factor and if your a hard core blood shooter who weighs his balls and measure charges to odd number of grains one lube can put preform another. Should you be in the tall timber or woods walk or shooting iron gongs, loading from a bag, lube is lube

Patchlubes are the difference between shooting a five shot 45, and a five shot 49 two x
Whip me with my own ramrod but in general shooting there is not a dimes difference in lubes from much kicked bore butter to the finest clear ‘bar ol’
As I said I like the snob factor and if your a hard core blood shooter who weighs his balls and measure charges to odd number of grains one lube can put preform another. Should you be in the tall timber or woods walk or shooting iron gongs, loading from a bag, lube is lube
LOL,Yes, and doing secret chants and dances does not make one lube that much better than the next IMHO!!

More important than lube, is having the stripes on your patches running north/south or east/west depending on your geographic location

My post was not meant to cause ire on the forum. I was looking at the supply of products available in these times, and the possible mix of tallow and the mink oil which many shooters stick by for their accuracy. If by chance it becomes scarce as some things happen to be I wanted to have something as close to the original stuff as possible till what we like comes back.
coupe

My post was not meant to cause ire on the forum. I was looking at the supply of products available in these times, and the possible mix of tallow and the mink oil which many shooters stick by for their accuracy. If by chance it becomes scarce as some things happen to be I wanted to have something as close to the original stuff as possible till what we like comes back.
coupe
No ire. Legit question. The problem is, there are as many patch lubes and opinions on them as there are members on this forum (or maybe even stars in the sky…lol). This is one of those questions that draws a million responses, many of which are something along the lines of, “Look at the 100 previous times this exact same question was asked and answered.” Keep asking questions if you need answers ( and maybe search the forum first to see if the answer is already there). 😎

It is absolutely amazing the variety of patch lubricants that work and work well in muzzle loading rifles. I know on the match days at my club, one can walk the line and each shooter is going to be using a different patch lubricant, patch material and patch thickness combination. If your combination of ball size, patch material and patch lubricant is producing the desired effect at the target, then I am not about to make a suggestion to try something different.

Anyone tried bear oil? I don’t have any but a friend has some I can get whenever I get a chance to go up to the North Carolina mountains
Bear oil is Great stuff and not just for patch lube either.
I got some from a member on this forum but she runs out fast by Spring so keep your ear to the ground when it come available again - it lasts a long time too.

I took note of all the tallow lubes, so I rendered beef tallow in the water method and added 20% bees wax to stiffen it up, maybe a scoosch less cause it is stiff but workable. Went to the range today and found how easy it loaded, much much better than just pure mink oil that I was useing. For a matter of fact I tried loading rounds no swabbing between with no loss of accuracy, something I never achieved previously, I was totally surprised at.
Oh by the by NO BEEF SMELL so nobody got hungry for a stake! I believe it loads better than TOW mink or my mix of mink oil and lamb tallow!
coupe

Back