• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tin box.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A piece of the fruit cake can be used as wadding. You have to watch out so you keep the wad balanced by the even distribution of fruit. The well oiled cake can be rubbed on the patch for light lubrication of a patched round ball. ;)o_O

I apologize for going a bit astray.

The solid tins are good for storage of small items in the shooting bag.

Yes, only my Altoids tins are pre embossed lids. I also have a TUMs tin and a few thin tin containers I like better because of the tighter seal. I have also used a metal film can from the days I used to roll my own photo film.

I apologize for going a bit astray.

The solid tins are good for storage of small items in the shooting bag.

Yes, only my Altoids tins are pre embossed lids. I also have a TUMs tin and a few thin tin containers I like better because of the tighter seal. I have also used a metal film can from the days I used to roll my own photo film.
No apology needed. You boys put a smile on my face this afternoon.
My next question would be how HC would be having a tin in my shooting bag? There obviously were tinsmiths.

I got to say I love fruit cake, a thousand calories can be had in small space it makes a goodtreking food. I used to make mine in feb or march and feed it brandy or rum till Christmas

A girl I work with grew up in South Africa. When we have some pot luck party at work I often bring something from the eighteenth century. She has asked me for recipes several time. Last week she told at work how she was making a fruit cake. I was glad to know I wasn’t the only person in the world that ate them. There are at least two of us... and that’s enough to start a movment

You're not the only one who eats them, I love them too!!
All kidding aside my Mom used to make them in coffee cans and they were pretty good.
I'd try the period recipe mentioned earlier and in the winter the calories would be a life saver on the trail!!
Sounds good on a break with some boiled chocolate or tea

I have my Altoids tin setting inside the door of the wood stove for the night.

Just a tip and personal preference, I prefer to use a propane torch or place it next to a small campfire where I can keep my eye on it. I only want to apply enough heat as to remove the paint. I do no want to warp or damage the steel with excessive heat. When I take it out I rub it with Crisco while it is still warm. This sort of seasons it like a cast iron pan. Done this way, they will not rust. If too much heat is applied they seem to want to rust.

Cap tins are great for pre-lubing pre-cut patches, and they work pretty well for holdings caps too!
20181217_205505.jpg

Back