• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tin box.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Altoid tin box is something from the past. They are made the same way they were made in the beginning of the 19th century. You might want to burn off the current markings and then polish for a container for caps, flint brother small parts. They have been around forever..
It's like the deviled ham cans which were first developed to send to the troops during the Civil War.

Dutch Schoultz

I ended buying some of the same size tins off of Amazon that come unpainted or embossed for about $2 each.
About the same you'd pay for Altoids minus the mints and the work

The Sicilian

The Altoid tin box is something from the past. They are made the same way they were made in the beginning of the 19th century. You might want to burn off the current markings and then polish for a container for caps, flint brother small parts. They have been around forever..
It's like the deviled ham cans which were first developed to send to the troops during the Civil War.

Dutch Schoultz
I like the idea of getting rid of the embossed lettering by doming the lid.
Does anyone have a pic of that?
What was used to do the doming, a round faced dowel?

I like the idea of getting rid of the embossed lettering by doming the lid.
Does anyone have a pic of that?
What was used to do the doming, a round faced dowel?

The hammer marks camouflage the lettering. Use a small (ballpeen hammer use the round end)
Place the lid on the cut end of a block of firewood or on an anvil. Start in the middle hammering, slowly working away from the center, and slightly raising the lid up on one side or the other to shape the dome. you hammer on the underside of the lid and the topside is face down.
Check the lid fit often for deformation or warping. The whole process takes a few minutes.
The process works great on Altoids mini tins.

Note: you can buy Altoids size tins without any lettering.

upload_2018-12-19_8-32-29.jpeg

Last edited:
I notice some y'all badmouthing fruitcakes. Yeah, if you settle for store bought. They do make a good doorstop. But try making your own. You can leave the yukky parts out! Still not sure what that green stuff was, but you wont find it in my fruitcakes.
On the subject of tins. I know it depends on what you keep in them, but how do you keep them from rattling?

On the subject of tins. I know it depends on what you keep in them, but how do you keep them from rattling?
Rattling? Why would they rattle? If you're on a hunt, sitting in a stand, or on the ground beneath a tree, or in a duck blind, what's to rattle? Even if you're stealthily sneaking up on that prize buck, what's to rattle?

I guess it depends what you put in the tin. Mine contains lubed patching, a worm, an extra ball screw and a couple of cut nails. It may rattle a little, but inside my pouch, it is negligible. As a human, you make more noise walking even when you think you are being stealthy....

"Rattling" can be a good thing at times. Ever hear of a bear bell ?
If I put noisy items in a tin I just throw in a bit of cloth to prevent rattling.

little padding on the metal objects. We dont have to worry about Bear Bells in South Texas. Do they still make Sucrets?

Back