• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tin box.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone use the round ones like airgun pellets come in?

I do, but it's not a pellet tin, most of those have threaded lids.
I use a small votive size candle tin. I just remove the candle and burn off the fancy paint, then give it a light buff with Crisco to protect it.

Japan made a dark lawuraed finish onmetal boxes. Europeans made a cheap lacquer and burnt boxes and sol them as japaned. Japan was all the rage after Japan being opened up.

Speaking of the boxes of Mr Cash.
I have not seen any original examples of "Brass" tinder boxes. I have seen the tin ones.
Has anyone seen reference to the Brass ones ? I like them, but have always wondered as to their authenticity.
Although brass looks good. I have always felt them too heavy to warrant carry on the trail.

Ted Cash sells retro brass tinder boxes based on period originals that fulfill the same duties and are much closer to what they would have used.

I have not seen any original examples of "Brass" tinder boxes. I have seen the tin ones.
Has anyone seen reference to the Brass ones ? I like them, but have always wondered as to their authenticity.
Although brass looks good. I have always felt them too heavy to warrant carry on the trail.
I was at a convention one time and a fella had over 50 original tinder boxes. All were steel! The majority of them being roundish, with a few the shape of Cash's. But there were other shapes also.
He had about that many tobacco boxes most were brass with some being steel.

I have a couple of original tinder boxes both steel and roundish not the shape of a cash.

Looked in Neuman's book and he stated tinder boxes come in steel, brass and copper mostly tinned.

Last edited:
23796_411262600151_313615735151_5143432_8196768_n.jpg
This is a pic of George Washington's fishing kit in a japanned oval tin.

You can drill a hole thr the over-lapping edges & make char in the field.
Plug the hole with a wooden plug when the gas quits igniting.
When it ha cooled just make sure you don't accidentally align the holes....

Several different size round tins according to brand & calibers. (I use them to store spare chainsaw chains too ;-) )
Davo

I'm pretty sure most of you guys are going to cringe when I mention plastic dipping tobacco cans like Skoal or Copenhagen. I dont use the stuff myself but have come across some of the containers. In the olds days they were cardboard, now they all seem to be plastic. Right color but yeah they're plastic.But they beat ziplock bags.

I assume you are referring to this type of tinderbox:
Tinderbox-3-REDUCED.jpg

I could not say that there are no originals the same as this one, so far the ones I have found of this type in brass have the hinge on the side, not on the end. But as with other items we use in living history, sometimes we have to do the best we can with what is available, & thin particular type of tinderbox is a close copy of the ones I have found. The originals I have seen with the hinge at the end have been iron.
I think so long as you are not using a copy of the Hudson Bay tobacco tin with a burning glass in the lid, you should be fairly safe. These tins/boxes are obviously not designed or suitable for use as a tinderbox.
Brass-Tinderbox-antique.jpg
Dutch-Brass-Tinder-Box.jpg
Original-Brass-Tinderbox.jpg
Please ignore the materials inside these original tinderboxes, obviously someone has added them at a later date without the knowledge of how they were used.
I very much doubt that these brass tinderboxes weight much more if at all than an iron tinderbox.
Keith.

Several different size round tins according to brand & calibers. (I use them to store spare chainsaw chains too ;-) )
Davo
1st line explaining subject was round tins for pellet rifle ammo got deleted.
A few pellet tins are threaded/screw-top, but most are friction fit.

Yes Le'Loup,
That's what i'm meaning.. Very very kewl. I've not seen brass ones, but i've also not delved deeply. Thank you for that. I just love the look of old brass. My next project to find a brass one and replace of my tin one.

Davo

That isn't how it was done in the 18th & 19th centuries Dave, but yes, you can do it that way if you are not concerned with authenticity.
Keith.

Latest posts

Back