• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tin box.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane a gress

40 Cal
Reaction score
The small tin that some on this forum have in their shooting bags look like altoids mint boxes. I hope I am correct. I have a dozen of them I use for lots of little things.

The small tin that some on this forum have in their shooting bags look like altoids mint boxes. I hope I am correct. I have a dozen of them I use for lots of little things.

Yes, that is what some guys use. The paint can be burnt off and the embossed Altoids lettering can be pounded out. Done right this will dome the lid increasing the internal volume. hammering also gives it that "used" look. You can also buy Altoids style tins without the embossed lettering that really never disappears after hammering. I'm always on the lookout for better tins. You can find tins at flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales etc.

Yes, that is what some guys use. The paint can be burnt off and the embossed Altoids lettering can be pounded out. Done right this will dome the lid increasing the internal volume. hammering also gives it that "used" look. You can also buy Altoids style tins without the embossed lettering that really never disappears after hammering. I'm always on the lookout for better tins. You can find tins at flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales etc.
This is why I used a Whitman's chocolates tin - no embossing.

I didn't know they made them small enough. Do you happen to have a picture?
3 1/2" x 2 3/4" x 1" - just large enough for 6 chocolates.
20181216_121412.jpg

Lot of us old guys used Sucrets lozenges tins, burn the paint off no raised part to flatten. These are pre Altoids. In the scouts in the early 60's all kinds of kits were made up using them. Fishing, fire making, sewing etc.

Lot of us old guys used Sucrets lozenges tins, burn the paint off no raised part to flatten. These are pre Altoids. In the scouts in the early 60's all kinds of kits were made up using them. Fishing, fire making, sewing etc.
I have a sucrets tin on the gun bench with half a fistful of Allen wrenches in it.

In my case, you're right. I have posted photos of Altoids tins that I have antiqued and use for small item storage. I burnt off the paint, gave them a light going over with four aught steel wool, and then a light coat of paste wax.

In my case, you're right. I have posted photos of Altoids tins that I have antiqued and use for small item storage. I burnt off the paint, gave them a light going over with four aught steel wool, and then a light coat of paste wax.
Thanks, I'll give a try on one and see how it turns out.

Yeah, I started with Sucrets but can get Altoids. Old shoe polish tins, various mints, there are lots of options.

I toss them in the fireplace for an evening and pull them out in the morning when cool. Rub the ashes off and then rub with motor oil. Gives a pseudo aged "Japaned" look to the tins.

Handy for pouring melted wax lube into as well.

Yeah, I started with Sucrets but can get Altoids. Old shoe polish tins, various mints, there are lots of options.

I toss them in the fireplace for an evening and pull them out in the morning when cool. Rub the ashes off and then rub with motor oil. Gives a pseudo aged "Japaned" look to the tins.

Handy for pouring melted wax lube into as well.

I ended buying some of the same size tins off of Amazon that come unpainted or embossed for about $2 each.
About the same you'd pay for Altoids minus the mints and the work

The Sicilian

no we ate it; wasn't too bad
The oldest reference that can be found regarding a fruitcake dates back to Roman times. The recipe included pomegranate seeds. Pine nuts, and raisins that were mixed into barley mash. Honey, spices, and preserved fruits were added during the Middle Ages. Crusaders and hunters were reported to have carried this type of cake to sustain themselves over long periods of time away from home.

Last edited:
Various small sizes and shapes are nice, so you know the contents by feeling around in a pocket or bag without having to actually look, or in the dark.

no we ate it; wasn't too bad
The oldest reference that can be found regarding a fruitcake dates back to Roman times. The recipe included pomegranate seeds. Pine nuts, and raisins that were mixed into barley mash. Honey, spices, and preserved fruits were added during the Middle Ages. Crusaders and hunters were reported to have carried this type of cake to sustain themselves over long periods of time away from home.
Jr,
Wow!!
You got to it before it turned to the DARK side !!

Back