• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington #12 caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
I've got 4 tins #12 Remingtons I got years ago at an estate sale. One tin in the paper sleeve of 5 had the paper seal broken and partially used. I shot the remainder of the opened tin on various rifles not noting at the time how they fit. On the bottom of each tin the previous owner had scratched "Shotgun" and a bunch of twelve gauge wads and cards were in the auction lot. Somewhere in the past I have read original Colt Walkers took a #12 cap and this guy's shotgun used them. Anybody out there using #12s these days for anything?

I have a few of those as well and I’ve never found cones that fit them really right. I believe you’re right about the Walker, and maybe dragoons using them. Shotguns and maybe some muskets? I also have some wingless musket caps that are standard size in every other respect.

I have a few of those as well and I’ve never found cones that fit them really right. I believe you’re right about the Walker, and maybe dragoons using them. Shotguns and maybe some muskets? I also have some wingless musket caps that are standard size in every other respect.
I've got a couple of tins of those wingless musket caps and 6 winged caps, both made by RWS. The wingless are brass while the 6 wing are copper.

I don’t know what material mine are made of. Seems like they didn’t blow apart upon firing, I recall thinking they might be reloadable. This was some time back. I’ve been using the Schuetzen caps for a couple of years now and they are made of steel. Boy do they hold the heat from firing!

Latest posts

Back