• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 5th of July

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
5 Shots at a sheet of 8.5 x 11" printer paper with an X drawn thru the center at 25 yards. One shot at each of the 4 corners as close as possible to the corner without cutting the edge of the paper. The 5th shot will be at the center of the target paper.

Take your 5 shots, and 5 shots only! A shot that cuts the edge or the target will receive a 2" penalty added to the score. A complete miss will receive a 5" penalty added to the score.

Each shot will be measured from center, or corner, of target to center of hole. These 5 measurements, plus any penalties, will be added together for your score.

One target entry per member.

5 shots per target.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading rifles (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition. (you can use a smoothbore or pistol if you would like)

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at 25 yards.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

The contest runs thru July, 2013.

Mail your target postmarked by July 31, 2013 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

:cursing: me too.. However, at risk of cursing myself I should be in this one. Going to the range Tuesday morning with a friend who wants to break in some new unmentionables.

You're making it harder and harder to cheat on these shoots. Right now I see no recourse but to shoot the target by the rules. :v:

Ahhh, today was the day I'd been waiting for, the wind was calm all day or close to it, course it was over a 100 degrees but got'er done. Will be on the way to Jethro tomorrow.
Deadeye

Yup, cursed myself :cursing: :cursing:

It appears that my assumed perfect load, while it worked quite well on silhouettes, isnt so good on paper.. Printed a dismal 4" at 25 yards.

So I upped the charge twice, to 60 gr from 50. Seemed to tighten the group up but Im still not satisfied. I need to take her out and just punch paper a few times to get her dialed in.. THEN I will shoot for the contests!

My target should already be in Jethro's possession. I managed to get all five shots on the paper but.... well let's just say this one was hard for me. After shooting the target I just shook my head and stuck it in the envelope. Jethro will earn his money scoring this one. Good luck to all the rest of you that haven't shot yet.

Well I done ruined another contest target! I set my target up at the range this morning the range was crowded for some reason. I normally lay out the balls I need for a target but as could see .62 caliber balls on white paper at 25 yards. I got close in the center and I go real close on two of the corners and not too close on the other two corners. When I went downrange to pull the target I found an extra hole in the paper! I somehow fired six .62 balls. I should know better than to shoot a serious target when there are a lot of people milling around. This is two contests in a row that I have tanked! I guess it is a good thing this was a bragging right match, no booty!

Congratulations!!!!! to the winners of the July match, whoever you are. I think I shot that one,
hard to remember that long ago. :stir:

Yeah, Yeah, Hold yer horses.
The suspense just adds to the excitement.

Sorry I took so long getting the scores posted this time. I've been real busy around here the past week. Way busier than I wanted, needed, or intended to be. :surrender:

But I finally made it back to the post office to pick up the stragglers and got 'em all scored. So here are the results;

1st place, Deadeye with a score of 7.688" :hatsoff:
2nd SMO with 9.015"
3rd Master Blaster 9.108"
4th Maven 11.464"
5th Hanshi 13.750"
6th MDK_WV 17.106"

Thanks for playing. :hatsoff:

Congratulations Deadeye, fine shooting. :bow: :hatsoff: and to everyone else. This one was hard for me, but I burned some powder and it was fun. Thanks Jethro for another fine contest.

Thanks guys and good shooting to everyone and thank you Jethro for going to all the trouble. Hope you didn't mind me ribbing you a little,I couldn't resist. Deadeye

Didn't mind a bit. Only thing that surprised me was nobody asking where the scores were sooner than that!

Last time I went to the P.O. was the 6th or 7th and I always like to give 'em until the 10th 'cause sometimes they're slow. Then I just got swamped with stuff I had to do and never made it back down there to check my box.
Got a lot done tho. :thumbsup:
Still got plenty more... :(

That's cool figured you had been to a vous somewhere Just curious what caliber guns you other guys shot? I was shootin a sweet little under hammer .36

Back