• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That Evil Ember

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is zero need to wipe between shots, that is for idiots!
My hero.
Ive never understood the need to.
I have shot my rifle for my 25 shots, and 2 others used my rifle at the same time.
75 shots, no wipes.

BTW thier rifle got the ramrod stuck in the barrel from oil and burnt BP mixed.

Having a differing opinion from someone is great. You may disagree with someone about just about anything but when you stoop to calling someone an "idiot"... that is completely uncalled for. It really reflects on what type of person you are .... leave the slurs unsaid!

Some of y’all need to learn to put your lips on the nipple and suck on it!
Long live the "Bacio della morte"!! (kiss of death)

Our clubs and rondies are too small to evolve any of those alphabet organizations.
dont give a rats fuzzy behind about the NRA, worthless these days.
IN the 60 years Ive being here I have never seen a MNLRA anything,
Being outlaw is so much fun.
They help keep the government from taking your guns. They aren’t evil. Most outlaws got hung back in the day.

Last edited:
I blow on the arrow rest after a shot, i suppose someone will be along to tell me its a deadly practice!
i blew down the barrel after a shot for close to 60 years. just got away from it lately after switching to bear fat/bees wax lube.
can't stand the taste, though my wife claimed it made my lips softer.

I’ll be darned. I live about 45 minutes from there. Do you still live in the area?
H-ll no! Even a visit to CA is pure torture There used to be another range in Folsom too but long gone. Every trip to that the range was always fun. Recall some irresponsible shooters used to bang the Hwy 50 sign with .58s and .69's for fun when bored. That like 1980 when there was NO traffic. FWIW city of folsom quietly buried the lead issue to get the outlets built

H-ll no! Even a visit to CA is pure torture There used to be another range in Folsom too but long gone. Every trip to that the range was always fun. Recall some irresponsible shooters used to bang the Hwy 50 sign with .58s and .69's for fun when bored. That like 1980 when there was NO traffic. FWIW city of folsom quietly buried the lead issue to get the outlets built
You ought to see what that place looks like now.

I did 2 months ago for my Moms Funeral. We circled a market for 30 minutes just waiting for place to park. If you think its bad now just wait as even LEOs are leaving in droves without replacements. Crime and riots are inevitable.

Last edited:
There is zero need to wipe between shots, that is for idiots!
My hero.
Ive never understood the need to.
I have shot my rifle for my 25 shots, and 2 others used my rifle at the same time.
75 shots, no wipes.

BTW thier rifle got the ramrod stuck in the barrel from oil and burnt BP mixed.

I would not presume to tell anyone they are having fun wrong because that did not do it my way. I would however point out that every one in the winners circle at Friendship wipes between shots. IF some degree of accuracy is willingly sacrificed to avoid wiping between shots, that is great, have fun your way. However, calling people "idiots" is out of line and reflects badly on the name caller.

Last edited:
I would not presume to tell anyone they are having fun wrong because that did not do it my way. I would however point out that every one in the winners circle at Friendship wipes between shots. IF some degree of accuracy is willingly sacrificed to avoid wiping between shots, that is great, have fun your way. However, calling people "idiots" is out of line and reflects badly on the name caller.

That sums up my views very well 👌 👏

Never been to friendship but in shooting in local matches it has become clear to me that a wiped bore and tight/tough patch gives me an accuracy edge.

Dutch knew what he was talking about!

"Never been to friendship but in shooting in local matches it has become clear to me that a wiped bore and tight/tough patch gives me an accuracy edge."

I have observed that all the good shots, wipe during aggregate targets. I have also observed that not wiping give me worse accuracy when testing loads.

Again, I do not have any reason to believe that wiping enhances safety.

So, a question was asked whether blowing down a barrel after the shot will kill or fuel an ember. Conventional wisdom (nowadays, at least) maintains that the oxygen that’s left in your breath fuels the ember. However, do we know that, or just accept it as fact? Several on this thread have reported witnessing or even experiencing a “cook off,” but did any of these events occur after blowing down the barrel?

Notchy Bob

Back