• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That Evil Ember

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd945043

40 Cal
Reaction score
Men for years people post that loading a muzzleloader from flask or horn is not safe because of the EVIL EMBER hiding down the bore. Been shooting for Forty years now and I have never seen the beast that people fear. Caplocks, Flintlocks, and Revolvers have never flared the powder charge on My weapons or any of the people I shoot around. I personally believe loading from a powder measure just gives me a consistent load and that's all.

Men for years people post that loading a muzzleloader from flask or horn is not safe because of the EVIL EMBER hiding down the bore. Been shooting for Forty years now and I have never seen the beast that people fear. Caplocks, Flintlocks, and Revolvers have never flared the powder charge on My weapons or any of the people I shoot around. I personally believe loading from a powder measure just gives me a consistent load and that's all.
Came close last fall when I failed to clean up spilled powder from atop my shooting bench. Trying to shoot too late, semi-darkness settled in as I was trying to clear a southern mountain flintlock that had misfired. I'd spilled a bit of ffffg priming the pan, brushed it away with my hand and touched off the rifle firmly anchored in a Lead Sled. The resulting "poof" and flash didn't happen right away, but a few seconds later when a spark from the pan somehow lit off the loose powder on the bench. Maybe a teaspoon full.

Powder flask was around my neck and brass pan primer in my pocket saved my bacon. Burned a spot into the bench. Gun did fire that time and I went to the house. That was just stupid.

Men for years people post that loading a muzzleloader from flask or horn is not safe because of the EVIL EMBER hiding down the bore. Been shooting for Forty years now and I have never seen the beast that people fear.
I saw one, the result was the guy lost his right hand little finger and half the one next to it. He was using a small horn.
It was a "Speed loading" competition back in the late 80's,, with all the myth surrounding the minute man.
What they didn't understand was it wasn't about "shots per minute", it was being ready in a minute,,
So, I seen it.
and p.s. using a measure does give consistent loads.
:dunno:

I 've seen a video of it happening, just a blank powder charge and no injury, but it can happen.

About the same as getting killed by a cow.

5e0fe1e84afb5.jpeg

I was afraid this very important topic would never get coverage.

Especially after two different members, just days apart, posted the same video of the same guy blowing up the same powder horn.

Safety first.

Even if it is regurgitated time and time again.

Last edited:
Yes, but still, I'd not load from a flask or horn; it's a small grenade! Remember, the famous WW1 and WW2 grenades we all know from the movies, had only 4 oz. of Black Powder in them!

If you don’t work with cattle almost no chance unless you choke on a piece of steak. If you ranch or work with cattle you chances rise swiftly. Injuries are pretty common. I use a measure.
Sorry but was out with survey crew and a bull ran from 500 yards away to get us. If you don't think you can jump a fence with a set of tripod legs on your shoulder think again.

If you don’t work with cattle almost no chance unless you choke on a piece of steak. If you ranch or work with cattle you chances rise swiftly. Injuries are pretty common. I use a measure.
A man was killed earlier this year working some cattle down the road from us. Those big bulls ain't no joke when you're on ground level with them.

I once saw a bull come through a gate that was barely open and catch it with his shoulder. That gate swung around so fast that the owner never saw it coming. I mean, it swung like there was an explosion behind it. The top rail of that pipe gate connected squarely with his dome. I would have put my money on little 80 year old Mr. Taylor being dead instantly, but he came to and began moving around on his own. Got checked out later that day and even escaped concussion.

Respect, attention to body language, and the ability to vertically scale whatever is handy will keep you safe from the KILLER KOWS
killercow.jpg

N-SSA competition is a bit different because we are shooting against the clock, so we are loading and firing rapidly. Cookoffs do happen. I have been shooting now for just over 10 years and I've had 3 cookoffs. I have a black powder "tatoo" in the pad of my right index finger with black powder residue permanently embedded under my skin there.

Here is one I almost caught on video. You can hear it at the 20 second mark. This was a highly experienced, veteran shooter.

N-SSA competition is a bit different because we are shooting against the clock, so we are loading and firing rapidly. Cookoffs do happen. I have been shooting now for just over 10 years and I've had 3 cookoffs. I have a black powder "tatoo" in the pad of my right index finger with black powder residue permanently embedded under my skin there.

Here is one I almost caught on video. You can hear it at the 20 second mark. This was a highly experienced, veteran shooter.

Does there seem to be a number of reloads after which this is more likely?
How likely is it on the second or third reload?

Started shooting muzzleloading rifles in 1976 ( or so...) I've seen ONE, and One was enough. The individual involved was a "rapid fire-No wipe" type. He was also a very good shot. He used a ramrod with a large wooden ball on the end and when his load "cooked off" at the bench, that big wooden ball tore up his hand pretty good but fortunately didn't remove any digits. Sadly, that was enough for him and we never saw him back at the club again.

Latest posts

Back