• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Risks of measuring your charge with the spout/suggested charges? (percussion pistol)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the real amount of powder delivered from a spout? Only weighing them will tell. Drop 10 loads from your spout, using your finger over the opening and your thumb operating the lever (if a flask), and see what you get weighed on a good scale. I have seen spouts that were listed for x grains deliver Y grains, and technique creates variables.

If you have a variable measure, test to see if the markings are even close to the amount of powder marked.

You don't have to worry a lot about over-charges, but consistency is what consistency does....produces tight groups.

ADK Bigfoot
Test your measurers by weighing the charges. Then there's no guessing. I'm not a BP physicist, but if you are off by a couple grains on a 20 grain charge that could be meaningful. I've been told and have read it here that consistency on everything you do with your load and charge will matter.

From what I found shooting my .36 caliber revolvers either Uberti or Pietta is that a charge of between 15 and 20 grains of 3F Goex works well for me using a round ball. I do use a Colt copper style pistol flask and put my finger over the spout. I pour out sample charges from the spout and check them using a powder scale. This does fine for 99% of my casual pistol shooting:thumb: If you are a master class pistol shot then you are doing it differently. ;)

Latest posts

Back