• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC HAWKENS .50 Cal nipple removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought this TC Hawken and want to clean it but cannot budge the nipple. Any ideas
Never owned a TC before and I noticed a screw below the nipple. Is this a set screw or a clean out. I am a rookie at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the T/C that screw is the clean out screw. It was actually put there when drilling out the flash channel, my advise is don`t remove it. Just use a nipple removal tool, the one shaped like a T, If it won`t budge just leave it and flush the barrel and channel/nipple with a jug of boiling water when you clean it.

"If the screw comes out EASY, take it out. It may be holding the nipple in."

Nope, it is not.

Plenty of nipple (and other threaded objects) removal topics on the forums. First soak the nipple and snail in a penetrating solvent such as Kroil for a couple of days. Then with a rifle sized nipple wrench, apply modest torque to loosen a tap the nipple wrench with a light ball pein hammer. The combination of the penetrating solvent, torque and impact will generally loosen the stuck nipple. Use a never seize lubricant on the threads when installing the nipple. The installation torque is snug. No need to overtighten the nipple.

Latest posts

Back