• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see that on some percussion drums and snails there is a clean out screw. Some are very small with others being larger. I also notice many set ups do not have a clean out screw. I feel it is a good idea to have that feature and think it is good to add that if there is enough "meat" to have it thread in 4-5 full threads before contacting the base of the nipple threads. Thoughts?

I see that on some percussion drums and snails there is a clean out screw. Some are very small with others being larger. I also notice many set ups do not have a clean out screw. I feel it is a good idea to have that feature and think it is good to add that if there is enough "meat" to have it thread in 4-5 full threads before contacting the base of the nipple threads. Thoughts?
I prefer them in a snail and one of the things I do is make up a new screw for them that extends into the fire channel some and file a .45 degree taper on the end to vector the flash around that 90 degree corner. That little 45 degree angle sure helps with occasional hang fire issues but they will erode and need replacement from time to time.
That angled extended clean out screw also helps preserve the bottom of the snail under the nipple orifice from erosion too.

People call the screw on a TC percussion rifle a clean out screw, it is not, they drill the flash chamber in one side and out the other, the hole on the other side is plugged flush. There is no reason to ever take this screw out but many take it out during cleaning because they think they are supposed to.

I just checked; I have a GM drop in barrel on one of my TCs, it doesn't have the infamous "clean out" screw hole.

In my GM barrel they didn't drill the flash hole even close to the area under the nipple. I use a small round diamond bit to extend the flash chamber hole directly under the nipple. Before I did this the little slit of an opening where the flash chamber ended and the nipple hole began would plug up with crud after 5 or 6 shots.

One guy got indignant about me putting a Dremel in the nipple hole and enlarging the opening, He proclaimed my nipple threads would be toast if I did that. But alas, he didn't know I was once a power duck decoy carver with extensive use of a Dremel and Fordom tool, I did all my fine beak and feather detail with a Dremel and know my way around their usage. My nipple treads were untouched after my flash hole alteration and the gun no longer cruds up after 6 shots.

And this illustrates that well built is important, not to be confused with expensive.
“In my GM barrel they didn't drill the flash hole even close to the area under the nipple. I use a small round diamond bit to extend the flash chamber hole directly under the nipple. Before I did this the little slit of an opening where the flash chamber ended and the nipple hole began would plug up with crud after 5 or 6 shots.”

That screw is the results of the manufacture process. It is not a clean out device.
Original Hawken didn’t have them.
IMG_0758 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
And new guns don’t need them if well built.
IMG_0473 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Intended clean out screw or not it sure is handy to run a pipe cleaner through to clear the fire channel of fouling and I have found that a hardened replacement screw with a 45 degree taper on the end aids ignition and prevents erosion at the snail bottom in the 90 degree turn angle into the fire channel. The screw 45 angle will erode over a few hundred shots and need replacement but feel it worth the little bit of effort for the improved ignition.

As Deester has mention several times, it is not meant to be used on a regular basis or used at all. But the Term "Cleanout Plug" is what Thompson Center use to name the screw. That could lead to the confused natural what it was. Just a plug to fill in the hole.

Attachments

• Thompson Center Muzzle loader diagram.jpeg
    Thompson Center Muzzle loader diagram.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 0
In old guns they are NOT "clean out" screws. They are threaded plugs to fill the holes left from the machining process. Constant removal will weaken it and result in blowouts.

In old guns they are NOT "clean out" screws. They are threaded plugs to fill the holes left from the machining process. Constant removal will weaken it and result in blowouts.
Do the nipple threads weaken and blow out from removal to clean them? None of mine ever have in five decades of muzzle loading percussion use.
The plugs blow out because no one ever cleans the threads of blow in fouling and they corrode away not because of thread wear from occasional removal and resealing !

Do the nipple threads weaken and blow out from removal to clean them? None of mine ever have in five decades of muzzle loading percussion use.
The plugs blow out because no one ever cleans the threads of blow in fouling and they corrode away not because of thread wear from occasional removal and resealing !
Having been personally hit by a blown out "clean out" screw, I'll do it how the ODGs did it. Leave it alone. Choose your own comfort level.

I'm with M. De Land. If the screw is present ,I will use it. I thought that I was the only one to use a extended screw with a angle filed on it to help direct the fire. Some of my rifles are CVAs and will clog up at under 10 shots with real black. Removing the clean out screw to get at the crud in the flash channel will keep me shooting. Using this screw will not wear the threads any more than removing the nipple every time the gun is cleaned. It will get looser if you let rust get hold of it,so keep it cleaned and oiled

De Land, I see your point you are making and seem to be a reasonable assumption to me, but I think I remember him saying, they had to fix several from being crossed thread and ruining the hole. Or the constant removal of the small plug seem to wear down more quickly. That also makes sense too, that it would weaken that thread area to the point of a blow out of the "Cleanout Plug". That is why on the later made rifles, that they drill in on the left side and made a flush plug to fill it up the hole. So, there had to be some liability reason for them to make the change.

De Land, I see your point you are making and seem to be a reasonable assumption to me, but I think I remember him saying, they had to fix several from being crossed thread and ruining the hole. Or the constant removal of the small plug seem to wear down more quickly. That also makes sense too, that it would weaken that thread area to the point of a blow out of the "Cleanout Plug". That is why on the later made rifles, that they drill in on the left side and made a flush plug to fill it up the hole. So, there had to be some liability reason for them to make the change.
That thread crossing is also the reason nipples blow out occasionally but there is no stopping Bubba work from wrecking any system.

People call the screw on a TC percussion rifle a clean out screw, it is not, they drill the flash chamber in one side and out the other, the hole on the other side is plugged flush. There is no reason to ever take this screw out but many take it out during cleaning because they think they are supposed to.
Amen, Bro. Worth repeating. LEAVE IT ALONE, DO NOT REMOVE. No need to.

Latest posts

Back