• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I read it. As a master Machinist and former gun shop owner I have seen everything done that he cautions not to do. I have drilled out and rethreaded many stripped "'clean out screw" holes. He sounds competent but enough people are not that I will stand by recommending against it

Ok so I read it. As a master Machinist and former gun shop owner I have seen everything done that he cautions not to do. I have drilled out and rethreaded many stripped "'clean out screw" holes. He sounds competent but enough people are not that I will stand by recommending against it
Aye!
My father who build racing boats (and raced them: "DJ Motors", Pasadena, CA) taught me at an early age how to PROPERLY handle screw, nuts, and bolts.
From working on the family lawnmower to my first motorcycle and car, that plus High Shool shop class (where I was once more tutored in PROPERLY screwing in screws and nuts) , then three years building parade floats, five years in the Army working on tanks (BIG Nuts and Bolts!), to a year training on aviation power plants (that means a planes 'engine'), and 30 plus years working and training/certifying others on office equipment up to large industry print systems....I have seen a LOT OF SCREWS! And I have Never, and I do mean NEVER cross threaded nor stripped one.

BUT; I have had to Repair, drill out and re-tap MANY that others have.

It is very true and very real that: Some People have NO BUSINESS With ANY Hand Tool in Their Hands!!

But, it's their gun, there is only one way to learn, and people like you and me need to make a living.

SCREWDRIVERS AND HAMMERS FOR ALL - LIVE...AND LEARN!
Learning is Fun, they say!!

He sounds competent but enough people are not that I will stand by recommending against it

Sure, but with that, you open the door to sharing your knowledge but don't do so. Not just you personally but all those who have simply flat out stated some variation of "don't do it" could share techniques and skills that would benefit the membership here.

I think the only constructive advice was by @Mad L in post #37

Sure, but with that, you open the door to sharing your knowledge but don't do so. Not just you personally but all those who have simply flat out stated some variation of "don't do it" could share techniques and skills that would benefit the membership here.

I think the only constructive advice was by @Mad L in post #37
Problem is, it's easier to show someone, than try to explain it to them. I'm a visual learner, and if I see something done I can repeat the job. If I'm reading it, I often skip a step or mess up a project in some other way, even though I have good reading comprehension, as a rule.

Still plenty of them around, but they like to be called Factory Trained Technicians
As a former 'Factory Trainer' I do understand the comment as used today.

There was once a time, prior to ... oh, around 2000 and the popular invention of the DVD. Long story short; factories and repair shops found it cheaper to give a 'future technician' an "Instructional DVD" to take home and train themselves, earliest version was called "On Line Courses". It would take too much typing and time to explain it all in detail so to cut it short: many (I would even say Most) 'Factory technicians' today have No actual "factory training" at all nut instead sat at home or at the office and watched some videos, maybe (and I emphasize 'Maybe') a little hands on, if any at all, and then they 'Guess' their way through the 'Certification Test' (sometimes they are even just given the answers to speed things along).
The day I was approached and told:
"We don't need Instructors anymore, ALL the information can be packed on a DVD, ALL the questions and answers a trainee could think of can be put on this DVD; gone are the days of the Class Room".
The choice words I had are not for those who wear a skirt nor for a forums with rules against!

AND the things I have seen since, the things I have had to clean up and fix while following behind these 'Shade tree techs' and 'Bubba techs' of today...makes me so glad to be retired now.

*end of off-topic rant*

But I would say that while some on this forum say they would Not want to be next to one pulls nipples, vent liners, and this so-called "clean out screw" for fear of a BLOW OUT....I would have to add that I would Not want to be next to one who Does Not properly and fully maintain their firearms, for those Screws, Nipples, and Liners that have never been pulled, inspected, and maintained have all been exposed to Heat, High Pressure, etc from the Inside and are also candidates one day for BLOW OUTS.

It's a never ending circle of conundrum...is the one on my right a Bubba Tech? Is the one on my right a Slacker who Neglects? Are these firearms all around me potential pipe bombs ready to blow?

Oh well, I gotta stop now, got things to do so I can go shooting next week!

It is very true and very real that: Some People have NO BUSINESS With ANY Hand Tool in Their Hands!!

But, it's their gun, there is only one way to learn, and people like you and me need to make a living.

SCREWDRIVERS AND HAMMERS FOR ALL - LIVE...AND LEARN!
Learning is Fun, they say!!
Well thats almost me. I don't consider myself dangerous. My excuse: I was the biggest PIA of all as a kid and my Pop basically paid me to go away so I got no experience and he got to keep his tools! I had no problem sending Mike (45L) a check and my favorite VERY used revolver to go thru and tune up. I have very limited wood working experience and tried to find a guy to finish the stock on my in the white Kibler but no bites. I then bought a Traditions KY kit so I can practice! I may even do it this winter. I do have two locks need work and will soon be sending off to Log Cabin or Deer Creek for tune ups. I know my limitations and thank the Lord for folks like you that can/will do the "heavy" stuff for me.

Well thats almost me. I don't consider myself dangerous. My excuse: I was the biggest PIA of all as a kid and my Pop basically paid me to go away so I got no experience and he got to keep his tools! I had no problem sending Mike (45L) a check and my favorite VERY used revolver to go thru and tune up. I have very limited wood working experience and tried to find a guy to finish the stock on my in the white Kibler but no bites. I then bought a Traditions KY kit so I can practice! I may even do it this winter. I do have two locks need work and will soon be sending off to Log Cabin or Deer Creek for tune ups. I know my limitations and thank the Lord for folks like you that can/will do the "heavy" stuff for me.
I am Not a gun Smith and don't go beyond basic 'Owner maintenance'. I do try to learn, listen to those who do know and have done, but whenever "heavy stuff" comes up I turn to those with proper tools, and experience. I have two right now I handed over to a Real Smitty, as I have handed firearms back to their owner, with my description of what I found and directed them to one who could Properly do what I cant.

My Dad took a wood carving class (back in 60s or early 70s), he was building a scaled tall ship. I went to several classes but I just could never get the hang of it. I was young, the instructor first tried me at carving a lion out of a block of wood, he said "See the lion, make it appear", I just couldn't. Then they thrived me with some relief carving...try as I might, i just couldn't make it work.
Wood carving is just not my thi g either, not even with a personal trainer.
As pointed out: there is No 'one man who masters all. But I have known some who master much...I am not one of them, but I never stop trying.

I recall a line: "You can't have get everything you want, but if you try some time, you just might find, you can get what you need"

I am Not a gun Smith and don't go beyond basic 'Owner maintenance'. I do try to learn, listen to those who do know and have done, but whenever "heavy stuff" comes up I turn to those with proper tools, and experience. I have two right now I handed over to a Real Smitty, as I have handed firearms back to their owner, with my description of what I found and directed them to one who could Properly do what I cant.

My Dad took a wood carving class (back in 60s or early 70s), he was building a scaled tall ship. I went to several classes but I just could never get the hang of it. I was young, the instructor first tried me at carving a lion out of a block of wood, he said "See the lion, make it appear", I just couldn't. Then they thrived me with some relief carving...try as I might, i just couldn't make it work.
Wood carving is just not my thi g either, not even with a personal trainer.
As pointed out: there is No 'one man who masters all. But I have known some who master much...I am not one of them, but I never stop trying.

I recall a line: "You can't have get everything you want, but if you try some time, you just might find, you can get what you need"
It just depends on how God bends you from birth ! I have always loved guns from as far back as I can remember and had the ability to make wood and steel cooperate with my wishes from hand or machine tools. Gun work of all kinds just makes sense and is easy for me in most instances. Of course growing up on a Dairy farm where we had to make or repair everything didn't hurt anything along with four years of high school shop class in wood and metal work.
Get me around tranmissions or electricity though and I'm a menace to mankind !
Folks who know their ability limits are using good horse sense to let those who have the gifting and training to accomplish their desires with safety and precision.
The trouble starts when those who have ten thumbs have no ability to recognize they are not so gifted with these desired abilities but think they are and never seem to catch on.

It just depends on how God bends you from birth ! I have always loved guns from as far back as I can remember and had the ability to make wood and steel cooperate with my wishes from hand or machine tools. Gun work of all kinds just makes sense and is easy for me in most instances. Of course growing up on a Dairy farm where we had to make or repair everything didn't hurt anything along with four years of high school shop class in wood and metal work.
Get me around tranmissions or electricity though and I'm a menace to mankind !
Folks who know their ability limits are using good horse sense to let those who have the gifting and training to accomplish their desires with safety and precision.
The trouble starts when those who have ten thumbs have no ability to recognize they are not so gifted with these desired abilities but think they are and never seem to catch on.
Clint Eastwood... "A mans got to know his limitations" Magnum Force

Back