• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the options is one of the CO2 Bicycle Tire Inflators such as sold at Wal-Mart or any bicycle specialty shop. The Wal-Mart one will probably not be in stock but can be delivered. Most of the muzzleloading CO2 unloaders are the bicycle inflators packaged with muzzleloading markings. The needle valve can be modified for a touch hole, or a rubber tip can be used. Do a search on the forum for modifications of a tire valve to use the Schraeder fitting to replace a 1/4-28 nipple. The rubber tip can be used if the nipple is metric.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=co2 bicycle tire inflator&typeahead=bicycle tire inflator
An air compressor capable of generating 150 PSI of pressure can also be used in most cases to remove a stuck ball or jag. Do put some solution such as dish soap and water on top of the stuck object to loosen fouling there. Let set for a few minutes, dump out the lubricant and apply pressure.

The usual culprits are either a vent set in too deep, or using a brass bristle brush. Those cause more problems than anything else.
Plug the vent, put in maybe a quarter cup of water, finger over the muzzle, tip back and forth a few times to wash out the majority of fouling before any swabbing.
Like many other things we use, we assume that a jag or any other item we buy is going to fit properly. Nope. They are a raw material to make fit for our purpose. Like others, I chuck a jag into a drill press. Then hit it lightly with a fine file, remove it from the chuck, then check with a patch and the barrel I want to clean. When it's a nice easy fit, a final touch with some sandpaper if a person is feeling like a perfectionist. It doesn't hurt a thing to deepen the grooves with a V file, and is a good idea if you had to remove much stock.
I personally have changed over to tow for cleaning my guns, and the problem just doesn't exist.

The usual culprits are either a vent set in too deep, or using a brass bristle brush. Those cause more problems than anything else.
Plug the vent, put in maybe a quarter cup of water, finger over the muzzle, tip back and forth a few times to wash out the majority of fouling before any swabbing.
Like many other things we use, we assume that a jag or any other item we buy is going to fit properly. Nope. They are a raw material to make fit for our purpose. Like others, I chuck a jag into a drill press. Then hit it lightly with a fine file, remove it from the chuck, then check with a patch and the barrel I want to clean. When it's a nice easy fit, a final touch with some sandpaper if a person is feeling like a perfectionist. It doesn't hurt a thing to deepen the grooves with a V file, and is a good idea if you had to remove much stock.
I personally have changed over to tow for cleaning my guns, and the problem just doesn't exist.
Yup- all suggested earlier, before his second stuck and now broken jag.
And I am wondering if he is using a ramrod rather than a steel range rod.

I wish him luck, but Sometimes folks just need to learn the hard way.

I stopped using jags for cleaning 50 years ago. The only time I use a jag as a grippy end of the ramrod to pull it out. I use a slightly undersize brush with a patch around the brush. The patch can never come off and it gives me the ability to scrub the barrel. You can add more patching cloth to make it a bit tighter if you need to do that. I also prefer a rough feeling cloth like the red cotton shop cloths to clean the barrel so it can scrub the barrel well. Pitch the jag .......
Ohio Rusty ><>

I’ve had that problem before, but it was usually at the breech. If you’re using a Tapered Jag and a large cleaning patch (2” to 2.5”), the extra cloth balls up causing the rod to become stuck. I switched to a Button Jag and a smaller cleaning patch (1.5”), and it never happened again.

Good luck!

Walt

Attachments

• tre1122325.jpg
    tre1122325.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 11-15-10.jpg
    11-15-10.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
These have, on occasion, given me problems.
View attachment 276608

These have worked for me, although I don't think they are HC.
View attachment 276609
If you are looking for historically correct jags try an iron worm with tow wrapped around it for cleaning.
Or you can tie a length of hemp cordage around some wet tow and push it down the barrel with your wiping stick, then pull it back out and repeat.
Either was used in lieu of jags for cleaning.

if not mentioned try an air compressor with rubber tipped blowgun. i saw the posts about co2 . but a compressor may be easier to come by. good luck. try to avoid pulling the plug if you dont have the PROPER TOOLS.

I would use a bore brush to see if loosening up the fouling helps. I agree with polishing. I make my jags .04 or more below bore size. Check the size of your bore compared to the jag.

I’m dealing with the same problem with my Clay Smith .62 trade gun which has a Rice barrel. My first thought early on was the vent liner, but that wasn’t the problem. I’ve removed the breech 3 times looking for the problem with no luck. With the breech off the cleaning jag meets resistance before the vent, but I can’t see or feel anything. Actually talked to Rob M. about this and he recommended a good polishing. Show that’s my next move.

Late to this post but TTT can you remove your vent liner..? If not can you pull your breach plug...? To pull your breach plug. Make up a small amount of transmission fluid and acetone at 50/50 combination and pour it down your barrel. It will penetrate your breach plug threads and make the removal of the plug much easier. For me it works far better than kroil oil
It will also help in blowing out your stuck jag if you use the compressor route.
But if you do pull your breach plug. Before you put the plug back in. Coat the breach plug threads with never seize. Just in case it happens again.
I would also replace your vent liner with a removable one for in the future. Might not be H.C. but far more practical. When things go south. JM2C

I stopped using cleaning jags years ago because they sometimes got stuck or the patch separated from the jag.. I've used a shotgun cleaning rod since. I use the slotted tip to hold the patch. With different size tips available the same rod will clean multiple calibers. There is no guarantee it won't get stuck, but it's made a difference for me. With the plastic T-handle removed it also doubles as great range rod.

I have a .62 cal smoothbore, and every time I clean it, EVERY TIME, I end up with patch and jag stuck! Can anyone one tell me why? I do not have this issue with any of my rifles.

Thanks
I have seen that many times. I usually blame it on roughness in the barrel; just above where the load ends. I think the barrel gets eroded somewhat at that point, and the rougher surface grabs the patch so that when you reverse and pull, the patch material bunches up and jams the jag. I would suggest using a looser jag and polishing the barrel in that area (at least). You may not be able to see the erosion because of the low angle that you can view it from. I usually clean mine using a brush with a patch wrapped around it.

Latest posts

Back