• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil ,,tulle,,fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps your library is not complete, as a student of American history I've learned that the need for research is never ending, we as mere mortals can never know everything, therefore, we do have to continue to dig deeper and deeper.
I have built these guns for 43 years. It takes quite a library do it correctly. You can't depend on what you read on the internet.

LOL, I'm in south eastern MA., I'm not sure which Gulf Coast you're thinking of. :confused:
We most likely are not discussing it because it isn't well known, and it's not popular, now or back when it was being made, it's a French Musket alright but it's not a variant of the Fusil de Chasse, it's only related by ethnicity, I saw one once in a gun shop in Wakefield RI. it looked more like a Punt Gun than a practical fowler, it had a .72 cal. bore, the barrel was about 60" long, the stock was blocky and the Butt end of the stock looked like it belonged on a match lock musket, It was Butt ugly (pardon the pun).
Seriously, everything that made the Fusil de Chasse one of the most popular smoothbores in north America was missing in the Fusil de Traite or Les Fusil Boucanier.
Have you ever handled an original de chasse gun? They don't even have internal bridles in the lock. Neither did the de trait. The de trait had carving and engraving, the de chasse didn't. there were very few de chasse guns made, when compared to the de trait, hard to compare popularity when there were so many de trait guns made. Do you have Kevin Gladycs' book? You need to buy it.

Have you ever handled an original de chasse gun? They don't even have internal bridles in the lock. Neither did the de trait. The de trait had carving and engraving, the de chasse didn't. there were very few de chasse guns made, when compared to the de trait, hard to compare popularity when there were so many de trait guns made. Do you have Kevin Gladycs' book? You need to buy it.
Actually I have had the opportunity to examine several French Fusils, two De Chasse and one Grenadier model, what impressed me most was their excellent condition for their age, however it was difficult to determine what the guns looked like when they were in their prime, most of the finish was gone and the wood dried shrunk over time, I did not get to take the lock off or apart.
But that is immaterial since we are not discussing which technology was available or in content use at the time, these guns were being built from approx. 1650 up into the early 1800's, during that 150 or so years it would be reasonable to expect some changes to be adopted.
Also, as I have pointed out previously during that time period most all guns were built in small cottage industry facilities, from small factories with several laborers to the back room in someone's home built by one man one piece at a time, none of the models were the same quality, not in materials, workmanship, fit and finish, or in the same quality.
While we can discuss these guns in general terms, we can't honestly compare them specifically, simply because they are all individual examples of builders skill and his attention to detail that at best was vague.
And consider also that most of the tooling and measuring instruments that these builders had were home made and that their accuracy wasn't certified by any official from any dept. of weights and measures.
publishing gun reviews he's never actually tested any of the guns that he has reviewed in print, he simply reads someone else's reviews, cherry picks information, editorializes a bit of his own assumptions and submits it for approval, well, I suggest that that went on in the past as well as it does now.
I like to read to further my knowledge, but always take what I read with a grain of skepticism.
BTW, thanks for tempering your writing, it helps to further our discussions. :thumb:

Ok, so was there any guidelines on the length of the barrels and locks on tulles of any flavor? Can a Durs Egg lock and a 36-inch barrel be incorporated into a tulle styled fusil?

Ok, so was there any guidelines on the length of the barrels and locks on tulles of any flavor? Can a Durs Egg lock and a 36-inch barrel be incorporated into a tulle styled fusil?
There were allot of muskets that were made at the Tulle and St. Etienne Armories in France, the most prolific being the Charleville Musket, and the series of light Fusils such as the Fusil de Chasse, Les Fusil de Taite, Fusil Marine Ordinaire, and the Grenadier, also there were the Fusil Fin and Chief grade trade guns.
All of them were very detail based guns as far as stock design, and lock configuration, barrel length is not a deal breaker, but if you are looking for period accuracy, then your lock may be an issue.
The English also made some knock off French styled muskets like the de Chasse models for trade with the Indians in North America, I'm not familiar with them, but it could be something for you to look in to for your build.

Last edited:
FWIW. "The standard French infantry-long gun was also produced at Tulle, Saint-Étienne, Maubeuge Arsenal, and other sites" as well as Charleville. "The use of the name Charleville dates back to the U.S. Revolutionary War, when Americans tended to refer to all of the musket models as Charlevilles." The Ministry of Marine was responsible for overseas military operations and had a contract with the Tulle armory to produce the guns they needed to supply their troupes. The 1734 was the last of that series. They then adopted the standard military fusil, the 1728/1746/1754 series. The 1728 sold by the Rifle Shoppe is a replica of a 1728 St. Etienne.

The Durs Egg lock is English and I would assume that it would not be on the fusil de chasse but could the barrel length of 36 inches work. Assuming there might have been an issue with the muzzle and it would have to be cut down in a historical scenario. I guess the lock would or could also fit if the original was destroyed and the egg was the only thing available? Thinking out loud again.

Back