• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil ,,tulle,,fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the fusil de trait, the most common French gun in North America. These were traded to the indians. These looked much like a fusil fin but of lesser quality.
They were mounted in brass or iron. Barrels were generally around 53 inches long and were octagon fading to round with a sighting plane down the full length of the barrel.
My research suggests that there were several models of the French Fusils, the most popular with the French hunters, trappers, and Natives was the Fusil de Chasse, those with the means chose the Fusil Fin (chiefs grade) which was the same gun but with a higher degree of fit and finish, later the Fusil Militatair or Grenadier, and still another model was added which was the officers model, it too was better finished and had a shorter barrel.
The Fusil de Traite was made to be a trade gun to trade with the natives, it was a cheaper and lesser quality than the original Fusil de Chasse and was not very popular with either the trappers or Indians.
Most French Fusils were .62 caliber, but many of the Fusil fin (Chiefs grade} were made in .56 caliber.
Even back in 1750 a Fusil de Chasse sold for $30.00~ $40.00 (US), the Fusil Fin and Officers models sold for $50.00~$80.00 (US), and the Fusil de Traite sold for $15.00~$25.00 (US).
The word Fusee or Fusil is a corruption of the Spanish word Fucile which means 'Flint'.

My research suggests that there were several models of the French Fusils...

How does a variant we hardly ever discuss, Le Fusil Boucanier [link], fit into this scenario? I would think along the Gulf Coast you would probably have encountered them.

Last edited:
How does a variant we hardly ever discuss, Le Fusil Boucanier [link], fit into this scenario? I would think along the Gulf Coast you would probably have encountered them.
In my opinion (only) we don't discuss it because it's not widely known nor was it popular with those folks who were hunters, trappers, or woods runners, originally they were made for the merchant trade, by law every French ship had to have a minimum of 6 Bucaniere muskets on board when they left port headed for New France and the Colonies and had to sell or trade them to the natives or woodsmen.
This was about 1650~1700, also a law was that every Frenchman with a family had to have at least one of them, and if he was a slave owner he had to furnish his slaves at least one of the French muskets, those laws were rescinded in about 1748.
The Bucaniere muskets varied allot in caliber most were in calibers 69~72, barrel lengths ranges from 41"~56" and they had very broad butt stocks, they were rather unwieldly and clumsy for the woods, however it's been noted that because of their longer barrels and longer burning course powders they could be more accurate at longer ranges than most conventional muskets of the day.
About the only thing the Les Fusil Bucanere muskets and the Fusil de Chasse had in common was that the lock plates were marked TVLLE on earlier models and later TULLE on the later models, both were made in the St. Etine and the Tulle armories, but that's where the resemblance ended.
The Fusil Bucanere was eventually fazed out because of it's unpopularity with the "folks", however the Fusil de Chasse went on to be one of the most popular muskets of the 17th. and 18th. centuries, it was the weapon of choice of Roberts Rangers in the French & Indian war and by those indians that were allied with the French, they were also quite popular with the Militia soldiers during the Rev. war.

Last edited:
The Fusil de traite also known as the Fusil Marine ordinaire, or the common naval musket was made in greater numbers than the Fusil de Chasse, however, the Fusil de Chasse was the basis for several other French muskets such as the Fusil Fin, the Chief grade trade musket, and the Tulle Fusil de Grenadier.
The Fusil de Traite or common Marine musket was a stand alone model that had very little in common with the Fusil de Chasse except for the lock design, their calibers weren't the same, barrel lengths were different, as well as different stock designs, as a model there were more made than those several models of the Tulle fusil, if you put the numbers of the Tulle Fusil together there were allot more made.
The Fusil de Trait was made in high numbers because it was issued to every sailor and marine in the French Navy, and they were used as trade gun to natives and by law every French Family had to own one as well as the many that went to slaves owned by French nationals.
But the Fusil de Chasse was the main arm of the people, hunters, trappers, woodsmen, and most of the native Indians of New France as well as many Colonials in the North East, which is why we never hear about any of the other models of French Muskets.

The Fusil de traite also known as the Fusil Marine ordinaire, or the common naval musket was made in greater numbers than the Fusil de Chasse, however, the Fusil de Chasse was the basis for several other French muskets such as the Fusil Fin, the Chief grade trade musket, and the Tulle Fusil de Grenadier.
The Fusil de Traite or common Marine musket was a stand alone model that had very little in common with the Fusil de Chasse except for the lock design, their calibers weren't the same, barrel lengths were different, as well as different stock designs, as a model there were more made than those several models of the Tulle fusil, if you put the numbers of the Tulle Fusil together there were allot more made.
The Fusil de Trait was made in high numbers because it was issued to every sailor and marine in the French Navy, and they were used as trade gun to natives and by law every French Family had to own one as well as the many that went to slaves owned by French nationals.
But the Fusil de Chasse was the main arm of the people, hunters, trappers, woodsmen, and most of the native Indians of New France as well as many Colonials in the North East, which is why we never hear about any of the other models of French Muskets.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

LOL, I'm in south eastern MA., I'm not sure which Gulf Coast you're thinking of. :confused:
We most likely are not discussing it because it isn't well known, and it's not popular, now or back when it was being made, it's a French Musket alright but it's not a variant of the Fusil de Chasse, it's only related by ethnicity, I saw one once in a gun shop in Wakefield RI. it looked more like a Punt Gun than a practical fowler, it had a .72 cal. bore, the barrel was about 60" long, the stock was blocky and the Butt end of the stock looked like it belonged on a match lock musket, It was Butt ugly (pardon the pun).
Seriously, everything that made the Fusil de Chasse one of the most popular smoothbores in north America was missing in the Fusil de Traite or Les Fusil Boucanier.

LOL, I'm in south eastern MA., I'm not sure which Gulf Coast you're thinking of.

FR1.jpg

Back