• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal. Jag and cloth stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SUCCESS! Jag and patch are out of my barrel this evening. Took the barrel outside and decided to heat the barrel. Used MAP gas torch and heated the barrel up enough to effectively burn most of the patch up. Got lucky and that did the trick. Took about 15-20 minutes of heating and saw flames coming out of nipple hole. Pulled on rod , jag and what was left (charred cleaning patch) came out of barrel. Looked like the patch I used had doubled up onto itself that caused the jam as I was attempting to pull it out of the barrel.
I feel so much better now!
Thanks for all the suggestions and hints.
Twenty minutes of a torch on your breech. Wow! If you were going to burn the patch you could poured or droppered a small amount of gas into the nipple hole to soak the patch. Drop a match down the barrel. Patch would have burned up enough in 20 seconds or so and not got the barrel too hot. I would have tried soaking the patch in oil. Then use a .22 bore brush on a long rod. Slide it past the jag and twist the brush so it tangles in the patch. Then gently pull.

Don`t know how many times I have done this with different guns. Remove the nipple dribble some powder (3-4 grains) in replace the nipple. Point barrel up and slap the gun to get the powder close to the nipple. Cap and shoot in a safe direction.
I have used this method several times. I would like to add this to it. After you have loaded and fired it using the above method. Don't assume that the projectile has cleared the barrel. Infact unless you have proof that the projectile has cleared the barrel assume that it has not. However you can assume and should assume that there is a good chance that the charge moved the projectile up the barrel some. Once you have determined that the fired charge has cooled. You can add more charge to the barrel. I normally use 4F for this. I will add more charge if I can then reseat the projectile and fire. I do this until I know that the projectile has been blown clear of the barrel.

Repeat after me: Beech plug tool, Beech plug tool, Beech plug tool.

That and a big wrench. Don't try it any other way.

Don`t know how many times I have done this with different guns. Remove the nipple dribble some powder (3-4 grains) in replace the nipple. Point barrel up and slap the gun to get the powder close to the nipple. Cap and shoot in a safe direction.
If you tie several feet of bright ribbon to the exposed end of the ramrod it's kinda pretty, plus it's way easier to find afterwards.

I have a jag, cleaning cloth and ramrod stuck in my barrel. Has anyone on this forum ever removed their breech plug from their barrel successfully? If so, what process and tools were used? I believe if the breech plug is removed from barrel I would be able to push the jag and cloth all the way thru and out the back end. The rifle is t/c Hawken.
Have you seen this CO2 pressure system ? It attaches at the nipple and the CO2 blasts the obstruction from the barrel. There’s one or two YouTube vids showing how it works on a patched rb.
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/b-i-d-kit-2/

Some TC breaches can't be removed. You might do well to try and work some black powder into the breach , and shooting the jag out. Wait and see what some others advise.
Done it several times....I shoot Archery also so in shoot the ramrod into to target. Sometimes they break, sometimes they don't. However if you could unscrew the rod leaving only the jag....20 grains of 3f will more than do it.

Muzzle loading barrels are not heat treated nor are they tempered. after being heat treated:rolleyes::doh::ThankYou::horseback:

Even if you find a TC plug wrench you need a real barrel vice and V-blocks. Without a secure way to hold the barrel you will ruin the barrel when you try to unscrew the plug. For practical purposes TC and CVA plugs are not removable. Leave them alone.

If you stick a patch or jag down by the breech shoot it out! It is no different than a dry ball. IT is a 5-minet procedure. Yet, we always go on for pages of bad advice.

Had a customer bring in a Hopkins and Allen inline with a breach plug so badly stuck that I had to remove the barrel from the reciever and put it into the lathe and drill out the plug then bore out the minor thread diameter and remove the remnants as a spring with a pick. What a pain.

Latest posts

Back