• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal. Jag and cloth stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a jag, cleaning cloth and ramrod stuck in my barrel. Has anyone on this forum ever removed their breech plug from their barrel successfully? If so, what process and tools were used? I believe if the breech plug is removed from barrel I would be able to push the jag and cloth all the way thru and out the back end. The rifle is t/c Hawken.

I've removed and replaced a few on the T/C Hawken and Renegade models. T/C made a tool for the breech plug, they can be found on eBay and Rice makes vice jaws so the barrel doesn't get messed up.

Have you tried to shoot it out by removing the nipple and trickling in a little powder? Install the nipple and a cap, it may just shoot out. I've done that on a Jukar many years ago, much easier than removing the breech plug.

I had a jag and patch stuck at the top of the powder chamber of my flintlock TC Hawken last year. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to shoot it out. I took the barrel out of the stock and lashed it to a 2 x 4. Then I clamped the 2 x 4 to the back side of my stepladder with the muzzle pointed down, a foot off the ground. I unscrewed the vent liner and dribbled about 8 to 10 grains of 3F into the power chamber and replaced the vent. I put a small pile of powder on the end of the 2 x 4 just below the vent and set it off with a length of fuse. The flash of the powder pile set off the charge in the barrel. I had a paper target on the grass under the muzzle. Sure enough, there was a .45 caliber hole in the target. The jag went about two inches into the ground. The whole process took about 20 minutes start to finish.

I have a jag, cleaning cloth and ramrod stuck in my barrel. Has anyone on this forum ever removed their breech plug from their barrel successfully? If so, what process and tools were used? I believe if the breech plug is removed from barrel I would be able to push the jag and cloth all the way thru and out the back end. The rifle is t/c Hawken.
I had the same thing last week. In my case I put JB weld on the end of the rod . Stuck into the jag stuck in the bottom of the barrel. I let it sit over night and pulled it out in the morning

There's another way I unstick a rod too. I always have a multi-tool and a couple of small leather pieces. I wrap leather around the rod and put a piece on the muzzle to protect it. Put the tool against the muzzle and grab the rod with the jaws and then lever the rod up. You won't get much movement but you only need a little at a time. All you have to do is move the rod enough to turn the patch around a little. Always put some liquid down the barrel first whether its water, oil, cleaner etc. Even if the patch was wet it will help soften the crud or saturate the patch.

If you don’t want to shoot it out there is another way. If you do a search on Idaho Ron he has a video showing how to use a grease gun to remove something stuck in the barrel. It’s so effective that in his demonstration he took an old, very rusted up barrel and then pounded an oversized (I believe it was) conical down the bore. He used a proper size grease fitting to screw down into the flash hole. The grease gun he used was a small size grease gun and it pushed that overly tight conical out the barrel as easy as pie.

The clean up was nowhere near as bad as some people may think.

However, if it were me, I’d try shooting it out first.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

Good luck and please let us know how it turned out.

First I would try holding the ramrod in a vise and pulling on the rifle.
I read somewhere that back in the actual era some shooters would tie a leather thong to the ramrod with the other end anchored to a tree for the same approach.

Second I would unscrew the ramrod from the jag and shoot it out as described in previous posts.

Third would do the grease gun method.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Not all CVA breech plugs can be pulled but you can pull every TC breech plug if you have the right tools and a long enough pipe to put on your plug wrench to break it loose. That said, I have never needed to pull a TC plug but know how to if the need ever arises.

Here is what a TC plug wrench looks like, it is supposed to be used with a pipe wrench.

TC plug wrench.jpg

Not all CVA breech plugs can be pulled but you can pull every TC breech plug if you have the right tools and a long enough pipe to put on your plug wrench to break it loose. That said, I have never needed to pull a TC plug but know how to if the need ever arises.

Here is what a TC plug wrench looks like, it is supposed to be used with a pipe wrench.

View attachment 295377

If you ever remove one. I don't remember who told me, but their idea works well; strip out and use an aluminum can as a shim in the corners of the T/C tool. It will prevent damage to the breechplug as the aluminum takes the bulk of the force leaving the breechplug pristine.

Latest posts

Back