• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech plug removal. Jag and cloth stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever remove one. I don't remember who told me, but their idea works well; strip out and use an aluminum can as a shim in the corners of the T/C tool. It will prevent damage to the breechplug as the aluminum takes the bulk of the force leaving the breechplug pristine.

That's a good tip, as I've seen several damaged and very ugly looking TC breech plugs; and I suspect most were never gotten off, yet showed permanent marks of various attempts -- so I too would just remove the rod and shoot it out.

Old No7

If you ever remove one. I don't remember who told me, but their idea works well; strip out and use an aluminum can as a shim in the corners of the T/C tool. It will prevent damage to the breechplug as the aluminum takes the bulk of the force leaving the breechplug pristine.

And if your barrel finish is good & you’re using the Rice vice jaws, wrap a piece denim or brown paper bag or wrap it with masking/painters tape if you don’t want funny lookin’ shiny spots on your barrel.

I have a jag, cleaning cloth and ramrod stuck in my barrel. Has anyone on this forum ever removed their breech plug from their barrel successfully? If so, what process and tools were used? I believe if the breech plug is removed from barrel I would be able to push the jag and cloth all the way thru and out the back end. The rifle is t/c Hawken.
You may want to read this recent thread about removing a stuck jag. https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/breech-plug-removal.175787/

How much damage is there to the jag and the rod? If just a cleaning patch or if over powder and patched round ball? Pouring water down the barrel to loosen stuck patch and jag seems best first choice. What does the breech face on the TC plugs look like? I have a White Mountain Carbine and trying to figure out best shaped fouling scraper to use. In hunting camp an extra long work rod with para cord tied to end of exposed rod and jag allows me to walk the stuck cleaning rod out Other end of paracord is tied to a tree or branch. I've since learned to use a smaller diameter jag when running a dry patch at the end of cleaning session to sop up any excess lube, Barricade or oil.

What does the breech face on the TC plugs look like? I have a White Mountain Carbine and trying to figure out best shaped fouling scraper to use.
They step down to about a 3/8” diameter and then have a round bottom.
1708108976311.jpeg

I found that pulling TC breech plugs can be a bear. We had a pilgrim bring in a Hawken with patch and jag stuck in the bore. He also had the tool to remove the breech plug. That plug would not budge. Finally, we used the system as in the video. When the gun discharged it looked like and old fashioned dust mop flying down range. I have also seen stuck patches removed by putting liquid down the bore. This would be like fluid patch lube. Rod, jag and patch would come out when pulled. If the jag is unscrewed that another adventure, When I'm doing all this I'd prefer to be shooting by myself!

In the future you might want to invest in a range rod with a "T" handle for cleaning and range use.I did the same thing with my TC when I first started, luckily I did what others suggseted and shot it out. That was long before computers for help and suggestions. GOOD LUCK

SUCCESS! Jag and patch are out of my barrel this evening. Took the barrel outside and decided to heat the barrel. Used MAP gas torch and heated the barrel up enough to effectively burn most of the patch up. Got lucky and that did the trick. Took about 15-20 minutes of heating and saw flames coming out of nipple hole. Pulled on rod , jag and what was left (charred cleaning patch) came out of barrel. Looked like the patch I used had doubled up onto itself that caused the jam as I was attempting to pull it out of the barrel.
I feel so much better now!
Thanks for all the suggestions and hints.

SUCCESS! Jag and patch are out of my barrel this evening. Took the barrel outside and decided to heat the barrel. Used MAP gas torch and heated the barrel up enough to effectively burn most of the patch up. Got lucky and that did the trick. Took about 15-20 minutes of heating and saw flames coming out of nipple hole. Pulled on rod , jag and what was left (charred cleaning patch) came out of barrel. Looked like the patch I used had doubled up onto itself that caused the jam as I was attempting to pull it out of the barrel.
Success is success. How bad was the oxidation on the outside and inside (if you have a borescope) of the barrel after heating 15-20 minutes with the MAP torch? I know I’ve seen oxidation after only a few minutes with a propane torch that required sanding and re-bluing on the exterior of barrels after they reach a certain temperature.

Unbelievable

I worry for the temper of the barrel, you might try shooting it with a hot load with a string if your temper is gone it could save your face.

SDSmif ... Yes the heat did a number on the breech end of my barrel. The previous owner did not do great job of cleaning it. There was some oxidation on the outside already when I got the rifle. Don't have a bore scope to check on the inside. Plan on doing a lot of cleaning on the inside before I shoot it.

nebraska steve ... I live within the township limits with houses on either side of my house and a horse farm behind me. The township has pretty strict rule about discharging a firearm. Shooting it out would have been my next option. If I lived out in the country that option would have probably been the easiest and my first option.

Abarnes ... Being a cautious person that I think I am, it made me think of the string trick already. When I get ready to do a hot load I think I will fire it that way, just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back